The Calm Before The Storm

*Note: This is a connecting chapter that is shorter in length and runs through time at a much quicker pace, but is very important to the story line!*

The group by now were shaken up beyond breaking point. They were literally lasting on their very thin strand of humanity. Relationships broken and hope dimmed almost to nothing. After the events in the dungeon the group split up without saying a word as they all knew they were going to come back for one last time for the final stand off. Their visions were negative, thoughts fixated on dying at the hand of Ardyn and the world to fall into total destruction.

Gladio and Iggy stayed together and despite their best efforts to keep Noctis with them, he fled and hid all alone. Cor went straight back to HQ, his relationships may be shifted, but he still had a mission to accomplish in order to save the world. Prompto however was completely off the grid, he threw away his phone and disconnected himself from everyone. He was ashamed and afraid of who he has become.

Noctis managed to gather as many powerful weapons as he could and summoned them regularly in order to keep himself entertained. They triggered constant memories of his deal of death. As his nightmares flashed before him, so did Prompto's. Ripping images of him becoming corrupted at Ardyn's hand. It was clear he wasn't going to survive if Ardyn wasn't going to be killed by Noct's blade.

Minutes, Hours, Days passed. No matter what the weather, blazing sun or pouring rain, the group remained separated and trained with what little energy the had left.  Pure motivation came from the thought of ending Ardyn. The time was near.

Meanwhile, Ardyn was back at Gralea in the depths of snow left behind by Shiva. He built and created hundred and thousands of bots to use for his army alongside the other Nifflheim leaders. The once humans either turned or grown in labs were being used and now cursed with the scourge. Ardyn lined them up and one by one he infected them with his curse, giggling as he watched them choke and transform, the black blood like substance oozing out of their metal helmets. He was already changing the world in his image. Troops dominated checkpoints once more and held the land under imperial control. Movement was restricted and food was running very low, especially after they were looted by guards. Innocent citizens were dying and the King was nowhere to be seen, he couldn't show his face... not yet.

The boys were lonely and drove themselves insane with the company of their own voice. Even Gladio and Iggy who had each other were irritated to only here each other and birds. Prompto took the effects the worst however. He would catch himself waking up in the night walking aimlessly into the forests and dangerously close to MT checkpoints and patrols. He would just stand there, staring at them and by the time he walked back, he was stained with black.

It wasn't long until Ardyn publicly made a statement.

"Dear citizens under the King- Noctis, your Savior and hope! I would like to say that he doesn't really live up to his name... do you really think he'd let you all suffer like this? Oh what poor leadership. If i was King you'd have it all! Which is why I'm here. Please don't be startled by my army, they are for your protection as I believe that Noctis and his men have gone out of control! The power has gone to that boy's head after his father died...oh and I have another little secret to tell about the corruption of your King. His best friend, the blonde non-royal, is an MT! How does that make you feel? They could've turned on you at any moment.. you poor, poor people. It's lucky he turned when on an island, minimizing casualties, but did you see what he did to Altissia?! I am keeping you all in quarantine as he and his men are out there somewhere, but they're missing and I wouldn't want them to hurt you. I will deal with him and his withered men, but you can join the coalition today. Fight for your rights and justice! Help abolish the Lucian line and its connections. The final standing will be soon."