Sweetheart (xB!Engie)

"Engie! Scout won't stop eating the brownies!"

"Nuh-uh! Spy's eatin' 'em!"

"Spy's not even here!!"

"That's enough 'uh that bickerin'." Engineer puts his hands on his hips, standing in the doorway if the kitchen, then crosses his arms.

"How many are left?" He sighs, walking towards the stove to see only three brownies left.

"Scout, there were 9 brownies. That's enough fer you." He squints and takes the pan, giving the mercs some, though theirs have to be cut smaller, and takes the last piece for himself.

××

Jebediah always had a way to make every problem disappear. That's what I adore about him.

Like, for example, once Soldier brought a kitten home. Medic's doves were almost hurt cause of the ball of curiousity.

Jeb, knowing fully aware of the situation, made it a rule that no animals, with Medic's being the exception, be in the infirmary. Medic in turn was grateful.

He was a problem solver, although I couldn't pinpoint what he did for me to get me to really like him.

Maybe the pure kindness he has in his heart? The sweet southern drawl of his voice? His intelligence?

No matter how many times I've tried, I just couldn't figure it out.

The smell of pancakes pulls me out of my thoughts, the aroma of freshly stacked hotcakes, melted butter and sickingly sweet syrup making my mouth water.

I find myself walking the direction of the kitchen, then running, trying to beat the now fully energized Scout to the breakfast table.

"Ha! I win!" I plop down into a chair, Billy right behind me, pulling the chair next to mine out.

"Yeah, have da glory while ya still can." He points a not yet bandaged finger at me and I snicker, nodding anyway.

"Oh, I will."

"Yeah? T'at so?"

"Yupp."

Jebediah clears the room of the competitive cloud that began to thicken with two steaming plates of pancakes, setting them in front of the two of you.

"The syrup ain't tooth achin' sweet, don't tell Pahro, but ah bought a new bottle." He points at the Saxton Hale's syrup brand and we both nod, digging into the deliciousness.

"Thanks, Jeb." I speak up in between eating another bite of pancake, Scout enthusiastically nodding with pancakes stuffed in his mouth, making him resemble a chipmunk.

"Yer both welcome, just don't eat too many before everyone else." He reminded us just before he left the kitchen.

××

"Jeb's such a sweetheart."

"And I ain't?" Billy raises a brow, the pedestal of being the best in anything blatantly obvious.

"You are, but Jebediah's just.."

"Ah'm what?" He perks up, walking into the common room, plopping his tired and sore body onto the couch to rest his muscles.

"You're a sweetheart." Bill butts in before you can answer, a dusted pink blush creeping onto your cheeks, and Jeb's.

"Yuh really think so?" He stammers a bit, not sure how to take the compliment.

"Yes, I do.."

"I'll just leave you two alone." Billy dashes out of the room, laughing as he does.

Engie shakes his head at the childish antics of Scout's, then blushes cherry red as he noticed that you were.

"Now, ah don't normally say this, doll, but ah reckon ah've won mah'self a bit of sugar." He pulls his hardhat off his head, pointing his [R/B] gloved finger at his cheek, his intentions blatantly obvious.

You snickers and his blush flares up, his cheeks noticeably burning up as he moves his gloved hand.

"Wh-what? There somethin' on mah face?" He flusters up, your snickering turning into soft giggles.

"N-no, Jeb, it's just a cute gesture." You blurt without thinking, then sigh and grab his chin gently, pulling him into a tender, sweet kiss.

His fidgeting ceases and he melts into your touch, your hand moving to cup his cheek, his blush yet again growing.

When you both pull away for much needed oxygen, you giggle and pat the texan's head, then walk away as if nothing happened.