Chapter 28

JULIANA THORNE

Well that was weird...

We were a few minutes to school when Jaxon got a call. I can tell he restrained himself from yelling to the person on the phone with him for me.

His jaw was clenched and gripped the steering wheel tight. I even winced as I saw his knuckles turning white from squeezing the wheel too tightly. I was scared to ask who it was so I kept quiet the whole ride. Giving a few glances to him only.

We arrived at school but he didn't get off and just told me that 'he got things to do but when he gets back that I better be at the house, in his room' he warned.

I was still scared of him so I nodded my head and ran into the school. He waited till I got inside.

°°

I was busy writing when a tap on my shoulder broke me outta my concentration. I turned around to a blonde short girl looking furious.

"Are you Juliana?" She asked impatiently, almost yelling. I nodded my head, cautiously.

"Thanks to you, Matthew is in the hospital." She says seriously.

I gasp and shoot up from my seat.

"Which hospital? Is he alright? Can I go see him?" I shook the girl.

She looked surprised but looked at me a few seconds, if I was lying.

"I dont know if he'll want to see you." She said

"Please. I really need to see if he's alright and tell him I'm really sorry." I begged.

We fought a few minutes but she eventually gave up and gave me the hospital Matthew is in.

I haven't seen Caleb all day so I took the bus right away. During the long, sweaty bus ride, I kept thinking what did Jaxon do?

I hope Matthew is okay. I hope he forgives me. I'm so angry at Jaxon.

Finally arriving at the hospital, I hopped outta the bus and ran inside. I impatiently asked a nurse for his room and ran to it.

I was standing outside his room and took a deep breath, preparing myself to go in.

Slowly going in, I started to cry. Matthew's face was bruised, and cut everywhere. His neck was bad. Eyes were swollen shut.

I couldn't really see his body from the blanket on him but I can tell it was the same. I hardly recognized him. He was sleeping.

A chair was besides his bed, so I decided to sit there. I took ahold of his hand and kept it in my own. I fell asleep.

Hard breathing and the bed shuffling next to me woke me up. I opened my eyes and looked besides me. Matthew was staring at me but his hand was still in mine. That gave me hope.

We both didn't speak until he did.

"Hi Juliana"

Ignoring my full name that he never calls me, made me gulp. "I'm so sorry Matthew. I didn't think Jaxon was going to do this, I swear. I wish this never happened to you.." I sobbed.

He squeezed my hand. "I know" he said hoarsely.

"You dont have to forgive me but I hope you could. I'm so sorry"

"Its my fault. I shouldn't have talked to you in the first place, especially since your Jaxons. It only caused me trouble." He said.

He let go of my hand. My hand twitch to reach for his again but I kept it on my lap limply. I wasnt able to speak. My throat was dry all of a sudden. I can feel tears trailing down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry" I spoke just above a whisper but I dont think he heard.

Matthew shifted in the hospital bed and turned around. So I cant see his face, and he cant see mine. This was it. Hes done with me.

He didn't want anything to do with me. Didn't want to talk, didn't want to see my pathetic face, and certainly didn't like me.

He's finally done with me.

°°

I walked outta the hospital after an hour or two just by sitting in the waiting room. I didn't know what i was waiting for,but It never came.

The sky was dark. I didn't have my phone.

It was late for what I can tell. The last phone call I made was when I found a payphone a block away. Thank god I found 20 bucks on the ground. Yea like it will make up for today. The uber came 10 mins later.

The ride was awkward. Driver was very talkative. I ignored the old guy. Even if it was rude. It made me angry when even Matthew said I was Jaxons.

I couldn't even go to my house cause Jaxon took the house keys from me and hid them.

"$30 dollars sweetheart"

The old guys voice snapped me outta my pathetic state and I raised my head up, confused.

"Huh? What? Oh um.."

Only 20 bucks..

The man chuckled "Its okay, but next time you remember to have enough." He waved me off, kindly.

I smiled, appreciated and handed him the crumpled 20 in my pocket. If I could, I would have climbed up Caleb's tree near his window to save me some yelling from Jaxon but unluckily, I can only climb down and not up.

But when I looked around, I didn't see Jaxons motorcycle or car.

Lucky me.

I quickly went inside from freezing to death and shut the door quietly just in case. I headed to Caleb's room to see if he was here.

I knocked softly. Hearing some groans, I opened his door and crawled into his bed with him. I cuddled into him and slept.

"Im so sorry Julie" Caleb whispered into my hair and pulling me close.

Sorry doesn't fix everything.