Chapter 44

Caleb King

How do I do this? This is impossible! You cant even get in the system...oh Shit.

- A day earlier -

"Are you feeling better Mr. Kings?" The nurse asks once again.

"Nurse I told you, call me Caleb. I hate being called Mr. King it's stupid and I just love my name." I said mimicking my last name in a stupid deep voice like Jaxons.

"Okay Caleb, how are you feeling?"

"Thank you, and I feel fine but I would feel better if my best friend were here." I frowned.

"Do you want me to make a call to this best friend of yours?"

"I can't."

"Oh..and why not?" She asked

"Look I was just wondering if I can get outta this stinky hospital already?" I said

"I'm sorry but you have to stay for another week." She said sincerely.

"But why!? I want a taco or something instead of hospital food. I cant take it anymore!" I whined.

"You are severely injured, Mr. Caleb." The nurse said and wrote something down on her notebook.

I groaned dramatically.

"I will be back with your medicine, I'll be back in 10" she said.

"No you wont!" Once she left I jumped outta bed but regretted it once I felt like all the air has been knocked out of me.

I fell to the floor in pain. After a few minutes of groaning in pain I got up slowly and looked for an escape no one would see me go through.

I peeked through the door, doctors were running around and people looking nervous or happy. I saw the nurse that's taking care of me talking to a doctor.

I looked around the room, only a thin blanket and medical equipment were around. I grabbed the blanket and put it over my head, covering the sides of my face. My feet were bare and the floor is so freaking cold.

Opening the door very slowly and my face hanging down, did I start to walk fast but cautiously down the white long halls. Some nurses gave me funny looks but I just gave them a sneaky grin.

"Hey, you can't go home yet!" A shout echoed the hallways.

I start running, pushing people from my path. I can hear loud and fast footsteps running behind me.

How can they catch up that fast?! I take a chance and look behind me, expecting a doctor or nurse but instead another guy with a robe is also running from them.

He looks at me with a big stupid grin and sprints forward, passing me. I stare gaping at him while still running. How can he run that fast? Unless I'm just slow..

I push myself to run faster but I can feel my knees collapsing on me. I'm shaking and I feel dizzy all of a sudden and my throat is very dry. My mind instantly goes to Juliana and I run even faster.

Before I feel very light and my feet feel cold and darkness swallows me whole.

_

"Hey wake up." 

"Is he okay? What happened to him?"

"Dude wake u-"

I shot up abruptly and inhale a deep breath like I've been underwater for too long. Bright lights hurt my eyes and I shield them instinctively.

"Oh my gosh!" Someone gasped

I look up to see a guy and a girl standing in front, looking at me in shock. I take in ny surroundings..

I'm in a small apartment with junk scattered all over the room. The green couch I'm on is not at all comfortable and small. Artwork hanged on the walls.

"Where am I?" I spoke in a very dry voice, looking between the guy and the girl.

"You're alive!" The girl cheered and threw her hands in the air.

"I told you he was fine." The guy said, that I now know was running with me in the hospital.

"Hello, I'm April and that grumpy boy is Sam." She introduced herself and the guy that walked away somewhere.

I just stared at her emotionless.

"Oh I'm so sorry, I bet you are thirsty let me get you water." She hurried off and brought a glass of water.

She handed it to me carefully but I quickly snatched the water and gulped it down in one.

"What's your name?" She asked after I finished the water. I had her the glass back.

"Um, my name is Caleb" I said

"Caleb" she tested on her tongue.

"Look I gotta go." I got up and threw the blankets off me. She quickly put the glass down and rushed to me.

"Wait you can't!" She called out as I opened the door.

Rain was heavily poring outside and it was freezing outside. I turned back around and closed the door. I rushed back to her.

"Do you have a jacket I can barrow or something please?" I asked desperately.

She shook her head. "What's the big rush anyway?" She asked curiously.

"I need to get back to my Juliana." I said and looked around for a jacket to wear.

She didn't answer so I turned to look at her again. Disappointment washed over her face but I saw a little hope come again as she asked. "Who is this Juliana you speak of?"

My features instantly soften as I think of her. "My soon to be girlfriend." I answered proudly.

"Oh" she said after a few minutes of silence.

I miss you so much Julie.

"Well you might as well stay here until the storm calms down." The guy broke the silence as he entered the room.

I sighed in disappointment but nodded anyway and thank him and the girl for letting me stay.

-

Morning

"Here ya go" April gives me some pills and I grab the glass of water.

"Thanks" I say

She stares as I gulp down the pills. I give her a questioning look but she blushes and turns away.

"What happened to you?" She asked quietly. I sighed, all the memories rushing back to me like a giant wave.

"My brother" I sighed sadly.

"What happened to him?" She asked as she sat down next to me.

"I dont know." I answered truthfully as I thought.

She looked confused but memories of him punching me repeatedly and the taste of blood in my mouth came back hard. Screaming,crying and the ringing in my ears.

"No, dont do anything to him please Jaxon he's your brother and my best friend!"

"Caleb?" A voice cuts me out of my own thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"Do you want me to drive you home now?" April asks

"Please" I smiled

She blushed.