The Truth (Slate)

"What do you mean the king is dead?" I look at Jim. "When did he die? And how?" I can't believe he died. He was not that old. He was not in bad health either. I will admit he deflated a little when his daughter disappeared but he still remained intact.

"He was murdered. Katsem says by a votash that got in undercover. They have been very slippery here lately. This is why we came now. Katsem was very impatient to get here. Oh, what powers does she have." This last part throws me off.

"What, who?"

"The princess of course. We all know that Katsem has the powers to slow down time." He is giving me his priceless look of "You're an idiot."

"I don't know the extent of her powers yet. She did melt a knife and move the molten liquid to attack someone." Jim looks shocked at this. I feel a bump and my stomach flips as I realize we are going through a portal. "Why a portal this close?"

"They wanted to get the princess to the kingdom as fast as possible." That's a good reason. What if Votashes sneak in through the portal?

"O.K." I look out the window and watch the city go by. I've missed this place. I finally get to see my parents again and my little bro and sis. They will run over to me and ask what I've bought for them. I will hug them and then my parents. I can't wait, but first I have to go and meet Colonel Martin. He will tell me what I have to do if I will get ranked up, and what my next assignment will be.

We pull up to the castle gates and a man steps to the car. "Purpose?"

"Rick you know who we are. I'm here to bring Slate here to Martin. He found the princess." We were all friends when we first started and have remained so.

"You did. That's good. The kingdom was starting to go nuts without someone in charge. You can go through. See you boys around."

We wave to Rick and head towards the castle. It is the same as before. White stone with purple streaks for the royal's wings. The doors are black, so they stand out. Jim pulls up front and stops. "Good luck and see you around." I shut the door and he drives off. I turn around and head up the stairs. I open the door and walk into the castle. Right inside the door is Martin.

"If you would come with me, Slate, we have a few matters to speak of." He turns expecting me to follow. I do. We turn down many long halls and end up in the main guards' office. "Sit down please and let's begin."