Chapter 20

5 years later
*Daichi's POV*
"Papa! I wanna go see the temple!" Rei points at the pagoda in the far distance. "Yeah. We'll head there. I need a map first." I smile at her. "Let's ask for directions?" I walk towards the information counter.

We stop by our hotel to drop off our luggage. Soon we are out on our trip, in Kyushu. It's Golden week so I decided to bring my little Rei on a holiday to Kyushu. It had to be boring staying cooped up at home for the whole week.

We take a bus to the temple. It is terribly crowded, mostly filled with Japanese tourists from other regions of Japan, just like us. After much squeezing and apologising, we finally make it to the front of the shrine. Rei claps and rings the bell, proceeding to drop a coin in the slot.

"What did you wish for?" I look at her. "I'm not gonna tell you." Rei childishly sticks out her tongue at me and skips away.

I chase after her. "Rei! Stay close. What if you go missing..." She turns around to blow a raspberry and bumps into someone. The person steadies himself, bending down to pick on the papers strewn over the floor. I help him.

Flowers. Drawings of flowers. It made me remember "him". Rei passes the man her share of papers that she had picked up. "Your drawings are pretty." she compliments. "Thank you." I slowly stand up, passing the man his papers. "I'm sorry about my daughter..." I look up. Grey hair. A mole beneath the left eye. Misty eyes.

He wears spectacles now, but it did not conceal his handsome, familiar, features. "Hahahhaa. It's not like I mind. I'm...in a rush, so I gotta go... Bye." He rushes away. I give chase. "Suga..." I barely manage to grab his arm.

"I'm afriad I'm not who you are looking for." He pushes up his glasses and clutches his papers tighter to his chest. "Suga..." I call again. He turns around and looks at me. "Koushi Sugawara is gone..." His eyes turn moist.

"Papa... why'd you run... away... for?" Rei finally catches up, panting. "Excuse me." Suga attempts to escape but I continue to grip his arm tightly. I finally find Suga after all these years. Never am I going to let him disappear from my sight again. "Su...Koushi. I know it's been a long time... and I must have done something wrong... for you to just disappear like that...I'm sorry...I'm sorry...but...will you forgive me...please...don't leave me again..." I beg.

Suga looks down.

Drip.

Drip.

Suga cries. For once, in front of me. Rei, who stood by witnessing our awkward exchange, hugs him. "Papa, why did you make flower-san cry?" Suga laughs a little, "Rei-chan, your papa did nothing wrong. I'm just sad from remembering some things..." He wipes away his tears and smiles. I realise how much I've missed his smile. Fake or not, they were still beautiful. "I missed you Suga... I miss you..."

"Daichi..." He finally calls out my name.

I can hear Rei in the background asking how Suga knows her name. "I have known your Papa for quite a long while now..." He replies with caution. "So are you and Papa friends?" "I guess you could say that." Suga chuckles. It reminds me again of how much I've missed his smile.