one

|alissa|

i wasn't a dumbass. i knew everyone could see it.

i knew, with all my being, that every single person at liberty high school noticed the dark blue and purple bruise that stained my left arm. it was almost impossible not to notice it. but i continued on with my day- a smile on my face as i walked the halls and met up with my closest friends, and the boy who'd laid his hands on me the night before.

"alissa hinsley, you look absolutely stunning today," monty smiled cheekily at me as he closed his locker.

bryce wrapped his arm around me and before bending down to plant a kiss on my temple in a protective manner. "fuck off, montgomery," bryce laughed, knowing his best friend wasn't stupid enough to actually make a move on me.

zach approached us, his bag slung over one shoulder as it usually was. he rolled his eyes as monty wrapped an arm around his broad shoulders, shouting, "dempsey!"

zach laughed, opening his locker before he reached for his bag, switching out the textbooks he needed. "hey guys," he smiled.

"i gotta get to first period, i can't afford another tardy from mrs. bradley," i sighed, pulling away from bryce. i watched as he frowned and narrowed his eyes, clearly irritated that i didn't give him our usual peck on the lips. i fixed my bag on my shoulders and turned, shooting back a glare as monty said "damn" and bryce slapped the back of his head.

bryce caught up with me before i could get very far, placing his hand on my arm to stop me. i hissed in pain as i pulled away, and he realized the size of the bruise he'd left on my arm. i reached my right hand up, rubbing it softly to ease the pain.

he moved to walk beside me. "you know i didn't mean what happened last night, right?" he asked, looking down at me, concerned.

i glanced to the ground, sighing. "yeah, i know, it's fine. don't worry about it."

"okay, good. you know i love you, right?" he continued, his arm wrapping around my shoulders lightly.

"of course, bryce. i love you too."

we parted ways as i entered mrs. bradley's room, finding my seat and settling into it. my hands sat in front of me on the desk as i picked at the skin around my nails, moving my eyes to the floor and thinking back to last night.

bryce and i argued more than either of us liked to admit, though last night was the first night he'd ever laid a hand on me. regardless of the harsh words he'd said to me over the years, he had never actually hurt me. that wasn't bryce.

"liss? you good?"

my eyes snapped upwards and were met with zach's, and i immediately felt a tear threaten to fall from my eye. i wiped it away, smiling. "yeah, i guess i just zoned out."

|edited 02/27/2020|