twenty one

|about five years later|

|alissa|

"i just can't believe you're a college graduate, sweetheart. you've grown up too fast," my dad sighed, resting a hand on my shoulder from behind my chair.

"dad, i'm still your little girl," i laughed, rolling my eyes.

my jaw dropped to the floor as jessica walked into my house. i hadn't seen her in three years, and she somehow looked even more beautiful than the last time i saw her. "oh my god," i squealed, wrapping my arms around her in a hug.

"congratulations!" she cheered, hugging me back and passing me an envelope.

"thank you, beautiful," i smiled.

as the night progressed, a few of my old friends stopped by and congratulated me. sherri, clay, even tyler made an appearance. it was crazy to be back in crestmont after so many years, and to see the people i'd gone to school with since elementary school.

i was upset to hear that zach would be working, and couldn't attend. we'd maintained our relationship throughout the course of my college years, taking time on weekends and holidays to see each other. it hadn't been easy, but zach and i were far too infatuated with each other to walk away from what we had.

"why don't you open some of your gifts, sweetie," my mom suggested as the house began to clear out. only a few of my friends and family remained.

"sure," i smiled, finding a spot on my couch as my mom passed me what was mostly envelopes. there was money, and a few gas cards, though i'd finally gotten to the present that'd been on my mind all day.

it was a small, unmarked box, wrapped in white wrapping paper with a simple bow tied around it. my mom told me she had no idea who it was from, and i'd wanted to tear into it since the moment i saw it.

my mom videoed as i pulled the bow from the box, slowly unwrapping it. as the paper fell to the floor, a black, square box was revealed, and i pulled my eyebrows together in confusion. i hadn't a clue what this could possibly be.

i opened the box to reveal a ring. a simple band made of silver, with three diamonds sitting atop it. it was stunning, though i was still bewildered by it.

"alissa hinsley," a voice spoke up from behind me, and i recognized it immediately. as i began to put pieces together in my head, i stood from the couch and turned around, my eyes moving to the floor where zach sat on one knee. "will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

i was unable to stop the tears as i nodded, repeating the word "yes" over and over. i watched as my now fiance stood, and i practically jumped over the couch and into his arms.

"a million times, yes."

perhaps bryce walker stole from me one of the most memorable years of my life. he broke me to the point that the thought of attending school my senior year made me sick.

but if bryce hadn't put his sights on me when i was just a freshman, i never would have met zach dempsey.

i would have never met the man who would become my husband.

if only bryce walker could see us now, i'm sure he'd be rolling in his grave.

the end.

|edited 03/11/2020|