sixteen

|alissa|

"so maybe we didn't win-"

"zach, you guys got your asses beat," i cut him off, laughing. i took a sip of the vanilla milkshake sitting in front of me, still giggling a bit as he rolled his eyes.

"you just picked a bad game to come to," he excused.

"you're the one that invited me," i shrugged, leaning back against the seat of the booth.

"whatever," he laughed. his eyes flicked above my head as the bell on the inside of the door rang, and his expression dropped from his face.

"what?" i asked, turning, though i couldn't see over the back of the booth.

"i think we should get going," he suggested. i watched, confused, as he pulled a twenty dollar bill from his wallet, setting it on the table.

"okay..." i trailed off as i saw the person zach had been staring at. i recognized him from only the back of his head, though his identity was confirmed when he turned to look at me up and down.

"come on," he held his hand out and i took it, standing from my seat and following him to the door.

-

"yeah, that's the only house in this cul-de-sac that's lived in," i told zach as he put his car in park. "and they're old, so they're always asleep by, like, seven," i giggled.

i turned in my seat, pulling one of my now-shoeless feet up into the seat. zach's features were lit only by the light coming from the dashboard of his car, though i could easily make out the smile that spread across his lips as he looked at me.

"i love your smile," i said.

"as if it could ever live up to yours," he retorted, and i felt my cheeks become hot.

"shut up," i shook my head, looking to my lap. i fiddled with my fingers as we sat in a comfortable silence, listening to a song playing quietly on his radio.

"can i kiss you?" he said after a few moments, and i giggled.

"of course you can kiss me, dempsey," i replied, leaning across the console and pecking his lips. he kissed me again, cupping my cheek with his left hand.

he pulled away for a moment, resting his forehead against mine.

"can i tell you something?" he whispered.

"of course," i said, keeping my voice to a whisper as well.

"i love you, alissa hinsley."

|edited 03/10/2020|