three

|one month later|

|alissa|

i sighed as i dropped my duffel bag on the track, sitting next to it and outstretching my legs in front of me.

it was the first cheer practice that i'd actually shown up to in weeks. i stayed at home as much as i could, wanting to limit the time i spent around bryce, or anyone, for that matter.

our arguments continued to worsen, each one becoming more and more physical as bryce pushed me to my edge.

"hey girl," sherri sat in front of me, mirroring my actions as she stretched.

"hey," i said quietly. a small, obviously fake smile came across my lips as i looked up to her.

"you haven't been coming to practice. what's up?" her tone was laced with concern as she pleaded for me to tell the truth. she knew something was up between bryce and i. everyone did.

"just had some family stuff going on, sorry," i mumbled, avoiding her gaze.

"look, you know you can talk to me," she reached a hand out and lightly placed it on my shoulder, smiling at me. i nodded, not opening my mouth to respond. "whatever you need, alissa, i got your back."

"thanks," i sighed, shooting her the same fake smile from before.

|zach|

"dude, you've seen the fucking marks on her arms. those aren't 'accidents.' you don't get a bruise in the shape of a handprint from running into a wall, alex." i ranted, watching alex's facial expressions closely.

"i don't know, zach. i really don't think it's a good idea to fuck with their relationship." alex responded. i could tell he was half-listening to me, as the majority of his mind was focused on the video game in front of him.

"he's hurting her, alex!" my voice rose as i became more and more angry, wanting bryce to just leave her the fuck alone. alex remained indifferent, shrugging.

"maybe you should just leave it alone, you could make it worse."

"fuck you, man, she clearly needs someone to help her, and she's not brave enough to admit it herself." i stood from my place on his bed and left the room without saying goodbye.

i just wanted to help her, and it seemed like no one else did.

i guess we were all just used to bryce and his ways.

|edited 02/28/2020|