thirteen

|alissa|

zach
can you be ready by seven?

i looked at my phone, confused at the message lighting up the screen.

alissa
ready for what?

zach
i'm taking you out

i smiled at the simple message, knowing a night out would likely be good for me.

alissa
i'll be ready

zach
see u then (;

-

"alissa! zach's here!" my mom shouted up the stairs and i took a final look at myself before going downstairs.

he wore a nice pair of jeans and a black tshirt. his white high-top vans completed the look; he looked good. very good.

"wow," he breathed, running a hand through his hair. he held a bouquet of pink roses, and i smiled at the gesture, stepping off the last step.

"hi," i said quietly.

"you look amazing," he spoke, holding out the roses to me.

i was wearing a pair of high waisted jeans and a nice shirt, nothing over the top. i'd fixed my hair and put on light makeup, which was more than i'd done in months. "thank you," i said, taking the roses from his hand, "let me put these in water."

he followed me into the kitchen where my mom stood, fixing dinner for herself and my father. she was nervous about letting me go out tonight, but she knew how close zach and i'd grown over the last few months, and she knew how kind he was.

"oh my, those are gorgeous," she gushed, pulling a vase down from one of the cabinets and filling it with water. i situated the flowers into the water and she turned to zach. "what plans do you guys have tonight?"

"i was thinking a nice dinner and a movie," zach replied.

"well, don't be out too late," my mom raised her eyebrows at zach, and he smiled.

"of course not. i'll have her home no later than eleven, mrs. hinsley," he said. i walked to him, wrapping one of my arms around his.

"you two have fun," she returned her focus back to the vegetables she was chopping, and zach and i walked to the door.

he hurried ahead of me as we walked to the curb in front of my house, and pulled open the passenger side door for me. i giggled at him as he said "m'lady" in a serious tone.

"thank you," i smiled, and he closed my door behind me before hurrying to his side.

he started the car and pulled away from my house. i caught him glancing at me a few times, trying to keep his main focus on the road in front of us. "you really do look stunning, alissa."

"oh my gosh, stop," i shook my head, looking down to my hands in my lap.

"i'm serious," his smile grew, showing off the dimples on either side of it.

"thank you," my voice became quiet as i smiled down at my lap.

zach's right hand reached for my left, and he entwined them together before resting them on the center console. his thumb rubbed circles on the back of my hand.

-

"no, no, no, i've got it!" zach stopped me as i reached for the door handle, quickly coming around and opening the door on my side of the car.

i smiled, stepping out into the cool night air. it'd gotten rather cold, and i wrapped my arms around myself as we stood in front of my house.

he pulled his wrist up to his face, examining it. "only ten-fifty-two, just in time," he smiled cheekily. i giggled as zach reached behind me into the backseat of his car, pulling out his letterman and wrapping it around my shoulders.

"thank you," i smiled.

"no, thank you," he corrected, "for letting me take you out."

"i had a great time, zach," i pulled his jacket further around myself, slipping my arms into the sleeves and laughing at how far it fell past my hands.

he reached his hand up to touch my face and i flinched away before allowing myself to melt into his touch. he was gentle as he cupped my cheek, noticing that it was sensitive. "so did i," he spoke quietly.

my nerves got the best of me as he stared down at me, and i broke eye contact. "i better get inside," i sighed. "here, have your jacket-"

"keep it," he interrupted, "you look good in it."

i smiled, and he followed me up to my front door.

"i'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" we both stepped up onto my porch as he spoke, and i nodded.

"ye-"

he stopped me before i could finish, leaning down and pressing his lips to mine. his lips were soft, and i smiled against them as one of his hands fell onto my waist. it was short lived- only lasting a few seconds- but amazing nonetheless.

"good night, alissa," he said, his eyes flicking between the two of mine, trying to read my expression.

"good night," i smiled up at him, walking inside as he walked to his car.

i pressed my back against the door after i closed it, smiling.

|edited 03/08/2020|