fifteen

|alissa|

i hadn't been inside liberty high school since last school year, and as october approached, i still wasn't sure if i was ready. zach wanted me to come to the football game tonight, and my nerves ate away from me as i thought about.

i decided supporting zach was more important to me than whether or not i was ready, so i sucked it up and decided to go anyways. i found myself dressed in one of zach's football shirts with "dempsey" printed across the back, and the number "85" printed below it. it was big on me, so i paired it with black leggings and some vans.

jess
i'll be over in ten

alissa
see u then

i hadn't seen jess since a few weeks before the trial, and i was excited to get a chance to catch up.

-

"no way!" i heard a familiar voice shout. i turned from hannah and jess, noticing montgomery's grin as he and justin approached us. "is that alissa hinsley?"

my stomach churned as i looked at him, immediately flashing back to the way he looked the night he brought me that drink. it'd been decided during the trial that montgomery was not guilty, and he didn't have a clue what was put in my drink that night; but the thought of him having anything to do with that night dominated my mind.

i smiled softly, my nerves getting the best of me as he stood in front of me. he hugged me tightly, rubbing his hand up and down my back, and i couldn't help but to hug back. i'd missed my best friend.

"i've missed the hell out of you, lissa," he chuckled, shaking his head as he took a step back from me.

"i've missed you too, monty," i smiled.

justin exaggeratedly cleared his throat and i turned to him. he stood with an arm around jess, and i was unable to hide my smile as he hugged me with his free arm. "i guess i've missed you too, justin," i teased, and he rolled his eyes.

"hurry your asses up, it's game time!" i winced as i heard the voice of none other than bryce walker. i looked at him over my shoulder, able to see his smirk through his helmet as he eyed me up and down. i wrapped my arms around myself, starting to feel self conscious.

justin and monty followed behind bryce like puppies.

i watched as zach jogged up to us, smiling when he noticed me. "look who showed up," he was unable to hide his smile as he spoke, pecking me on the forehead as he ran after his team.

"good luck!" i called, and he glanced over his shoulder at me, still smiling.

|edited 03/09/2020|