eleven

|alissa|

zach's thumb rubbed circles against the back of my hand while we sat in possibly the most uncomfortable chairs ever.

"alissa hinsley," a woman called my name and i swallowed hard, standing from my place.

"i'll be right outside, liss," zach said softly. i nodded, putting on a brave face as i followed the woman back into the small exam room.

she checked my vitals before taking a seat on the small stool in the room. "have you ever had an exam like this?" she asked, looking up from her clipboard.

i shook my head, indicating "no."

"it's a simple procedure, hun. we'll give you this gown and we'll take a few swabs and photos. i know it can be a sensitive area for us to be around, so would you like anyone to be back here with you?" she asked. her voice was soothing, and her smile calmed my nerves.

"can my friend come back?" i asked.

she nodded, leaving the room to retrieve zach.

-

about two hours later, zach was leaving the room so i could get dressed. as i pulled my leggings back up around my waist, my eyes welled with tears.

i sat down on the floor, pulling my knees up to my chest. i was unable to stop the tears as they fell, though i kept myself quiet, not wanting to worry anyone.

"alissa, you dressed? the nurse has the discharge paperwork," zach said, knocking lightly.

i quickly stood, wiping my face on my sleeve and opening the door. i gave him a small smile, taking the clipboard with paperwork from the nurse and signing where i needed to.

"how about some coffee?" zach asked as we walked to his car. he opened the door for me as i crinkled my nose up.

"coffee is gross."

"hot chocolate, then?" he asked, smiling.

i gave a soft smile in response, nodding.

|edited 03/05/2020|