ten

|alissa|

i opened my eyes, immediately closing them again as the sun shining through the window blinded me. they slowly adjusted to the light as i reopened them, and i quickly realized i wasn't in my bedroom; or bryce's- for that matter.

"hey, you're awake," zach mumbled, his toothbrush held in between his lips and a pair of basketball shorts hanging on his waist.

"yeah, um," i looked around, "what am i doing here?"

"what do you remember?" he asked.

my head was pounding as i thought about last night, "monty brought me a drink, said it was from bryce. it was good." i didn't remember anything after that.

zach's face was struck with realization, and he sat next to me on the bed. "he drugged you."

"who?"

"bryce," he said.

i swallowed, looking up to him. "he- what did he-" i was unable to get out a full sentence as i looked at zach, terrified.

"he didn't do anything. jeff and i stopped him."

i tried to remember, though i could only see flashes of bryce pulling me upstairs and into a bedroom.

"i better get going," i said, standing out of bed. "i'll sneak out, your mom would kill us if she caught me in here," i laughed nervously, finding my clutch sitting on his dresser and grabbing it.

"my mom knows you're here, alissa," zach grabbed my hand, but i quickly pulled it away, not wanting to be touched.

"what do you mean?" i stopped what i was doing and turned to zach.

"i told her what happened."

"what did you tell her?" i could feel my heartbeat in my throat as i stared at him, terrified. if zach's mother found out about the things bryce has done, then my mom would find out; that was the last thing i wanted to happen.

"i told her everything," he broke eye contact, looking to the floor.

"zach, why di-"

"i didn't have a choice."

i stepped away from him, grabbing my things and leaving his room. he called my name, and i could hear his heavy footsteps following me.

as i reached the bottom of the steps, i saw mrs. dempsey and my mom sitting at the kitchen table. they both turned to me. my moms eyes were filled with tears as she looked at me, and i could feel tears burning at my own eyes.

"alissa, i'm sorry," zach said, standing behind me now.

i turned, ready to scream at him, but i was unable to get any words out. i came undone in front of him, dropping my phone and clutch to the floor as i fell into him. i sobbed against him, for the second time in the last week or so, and he held me. he rubbed my back and whispered soft words in my ear as i struggled to pull myself together.

"alissa," mrs. dempsey spoke softly, and i turned to face her, tears still falling from my eyes. "bryce will get what he deserves, alissa. i will make sure of it."

|edited 03/05/2020|