(21) Aftermath

(1st edit: 12.19.18)

I wake up to a pain in my belly and back as well as a massive headache. I wince as I open my eyes and shift in the bed that I'm in. The room is dark as I look around. I stop looking when I see Thomas pacing at the door, Machines hooked up to me and beeping.

Then I look down down and see a tiny monitor strapped to my belly. I try to sit up but stop and cry out as sharp pain explodes in my head. Thomas runs over with a worried and scared but also relieved face.

"Hey angel. Don't move okay."

He says as he helps me lay back down.

"What happened?"

I ask.

"Why am I in a hospital room with machines hooked up to me?"

I start to cry once I see the pained expression on his face. He takes a deep breath while sitting in the armchair beside the beaded wipes away my tears.

"Baby? Do you remember me tickling you and you running down the hall while I chase you?"

He asks and I slowly nod.

"Sorta."

He nods.

"Well when you were facing me and walking backwards, the stairs were right behind you."

He looks at me with sad eyes as tears fall from my eyes. I nod for him to continue and he takes another deep breath.

"You didn't see them and I didn't notice how close to the edge you were till I saw your expression change to fear as the heel of your foot touched the edge on the top stair."

I start cry.

"I tried to grab you but I was too far away and you fell."

He says and I burst into hysterics.

"No! this isn't happening."

I cry and tears fill Thomas' eyes.

"Baby, you fell. You've been out for a week."

He says and my heart breaks.

"Our babies!"

I scream and cry as I try to touch my belly toffee them kick but I'm covered in monitors. I start to hyperventilate and can't breathe. Thomas starts to cry and yells for the doctor while trying to calm me down. Nurses start running into the room and rush to my sides.

"My babies!"

I cry out again. Nurses prep to inject me with something, probably a sedative. But as they're connecting the needle to one of my intervenes' a doctor comes in.

"Stop what you're doing. Nurses out."

She says. The nurse holding the needle takes it out of the IV and leaves the room as she was told. The other nurses follow suit and the doctor stands beside me. I'm still crying and trying to get to my tummy. She places a steady hand on my shaking ones and says

"Amelia is it? I'm Doctor Grey. What's the problem here?"

I sigh out a shaky breath.

"I can't feel my babies moving and I'm six months in and they always move."

She nods.

"But I fell and ever since I woke up I can't feel them."

I start crying and grab at the monitor again. Doctor Grey holds my hands and looks me in the eyes.

"Let's see what we can do about that yeah?"

She asks and I nod while Thomas holds me close to him and wipes my tears. Doctor Grey unstraps the baby monitor strapped onto my tummy and pulls it off with little movement on my part. As soon as its off my hands fly to my tummy. I start to cry again. Happy this time.