Part 10

I fall to my knees. But I can't cry. I can't find the energy within me.

Phil helps me up off the ground, holding onto my arm gently. I cling to him like a lost child, wanting this to be over and wishing this was just a horrible dream that I'd wake from at any minute.

"I'll check to see if anything's been stolen," I say weakly as I loosen my grip on Phil. However, Phil holds onto me and I look back at him with a painfully blank expression.

"Nothing's been stolen... Dan was here." Phil says ominously. "I... I can feel him."

My stomach suddenly turns and my heart drops. I can feel the dense air around us. Is this the energy he can feel?

I look up at the man's icy blue eyes. "Are you sure?"

He nods. "We should clean up." He answers.

I nod shortly and we begin to clean, starting with the hall.

The wall behind the front door has a large dent in it from where it was forcefully swung open and the handle slammed into the wall.

I once again curse the size of my house. If it wasn't a four bedroomed home, then maybe the cleaning process would've been much quicker.

Phil and I are upstairs now, everything but one room has been cleaned.

There is a room at the end of the hall, dust lines the handle and the door is probably stiff from lack of usage. Within that room is something that I swore I'd never touch again. A dream I abandoned long ago.

Phil goes to turn the handle and I grab his arm to stop him before he can open it. He looks back at me with a confused but intrigued expression.

"I haven't been in this room in years," I say. "I don't think anything would've happened in there, the doors still closed."

"We could check?" Phil suggests.

I look down at my hand which is still placed on the man's arm. "No," I say softly but sternly. I don't want to go in there and look the thing that both broke and created a dream I had years ago.

Phil's hand slides off the handle and falls down to his side. "Okay, if you're sure."

I give a small, weak smile to my angel and then look down at the floor.

"I'm tired..." I tell him. "I think I'm gonna go to bed."

Phil nods and gives a reassuring smile. When he smiles I feel my heart burn. A certain longing aches me. I've never had this weird feeling in my chest before. Stress from the break in? Fear of the demon? Love towards this magnificent creature? No. That'd be wrong. It wouldn't work. But I find myself wishing the exact opposite.

 We both walk into my bedroom and I open my wardrobe to find my pyjamas. Phil just takes off his shirt and trousers so he is wearing only his boxer briefs. He has a small box of his clothes next to my wardrobe. I don't know how they got there but they just are. Magic? Maybe PJ brought them on his visit? Who knows?

I pull out a pale pink cropped shirt and fluffy pyjama pants that are black and have white dots on them. I get changed quickly, shielded by the doors of my wardrobe so Phil doesn't see.

When I close the wardrobe and see Phil in his sleepwear, I blush slightly.

He is sat on a makeshift bed on the floor made from piles of blankets and pillows. I feel kinda bad for making him sleep on the floor but he insisted it was fine.

Phil is wearing the necklace with the pendant on and I'm wearing mine. I smile weakly again and crawl onto my bed. Phil switches off the light and we are plunged into darkness.

The window allows a soft amount of moonlight to seep through the cracks in the curtains, illuminating my bed just enough to see through the pitch black darkness.

I lay there for hours, unable to even close my eyes without imagining Dan standing at the foot of my bed, waiting for me to let my guard down, waiting for Phil to sleep, leaving me vulnerable and alone.

I turn on my side.

"Phil..?" I say quietly, but even my soft manner of speaking pierces through the dark, silent room like a bullet through the air.

"Yes?" Phil responds in an almost croaky, tired voice.

"I... can't sleep. I just keep thinking about him. About where he is right now... what he's doing..."

I hear Phil rustle about slightly and then see the figure of him stand up. His face is lit up by the moonlight and the more I focus on him, the more I notice the spectral glow of his skin.

"Let me lay with you?" Phil says. It's not exactly a question but it's not a command either.

I shuffle to one end of the bed and Phil lifts the covers, wiggling in next to me. I instantly feel warmer.

Hesitantly, I shuffle up closer to Phil and lay just in front of him. He is facing me and I him.

Suddenly, I feel a warm, heavy arm draped over me and gently pull me closer to him. I bury my face into Phil's chest as he hugs me and I can finally close my eyes feeling safe and at home.