Part 14

To anyone who may walk in at this moment, this may look like we're a couple or something. But I don't care. And right now, I don't think Phil does either.  

Phil slowly opens his eyes, waking up from another dream-filled sleep. He dreamed that he and I were lying on a river, floating blissfully. The water was warm and bubbled gently like a hot tub. There were golden fishes swimming around us, poking their noses up and swimming on the surface. Phil reached out and ran his fingers across their scaly backs. Phil had never experienced dreaming before this. And now every time he slept, he never wanted to wake up.

He sits up slowly, trying not to wake me. I slowly lose my grip on his arm and roll over in my sleep, the cover falling off me in the process. Phil stretches and stands up before gently pulling the cover back over my sleeping shoulders. Phil gets dressed quickly and yawns as he leaves my room, slowly closing the door behind him. It shuts with a click.

He walks downstairs and his ears perk up. He can hear someone. Soft, sad sobs resonate from the kitchen and so Phil curiously walks inside to discover Darby sat at the breakfast bar with a lit cigarette in one hand and her face buried in her other. She's crying softly. He hair is tangled and her clothes are creased. 

"Darby?" Phil says as he approaches the crying woman and sits tentatively next to her.

Darby jumps a little, not hearing him come into the room. She quickly tries to compose herself and rubs the tears from her face, taking a drag from her cigarette and letting out a deep, shaky breath as the smoke rolls out of her mouth as if her spirit is leaving her body. 

"Sorry Honey, I didn't hear you come down the stairs." She sighs.

"How long have you been awake?" Phil asks with concern when he sees the deep, tired circles under her eyes. She looks like she hasn't slept in days and her makeup has run down her face. She must've been too tired to wash it off last night.

"Oh... I don't know..." Darby answers dismissively.

"Is there anything bothering you? I mean, aside from the fire of course."

Darby takes another drag and nods. "I've worked so hard to get where I am you know?" She starts. "I've wanted this ever since I was a little girl... But I can't keep doing this. The diner takes money out of my bank account more and more and I'm not making any profit. I can't keep up with the payments, the work and I just... with the fire... it's just too much for me."

Phil puts his hand on Darby's and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "Sometimes dreams don't always come true. But I promise that even if this one doesn't work out that you'll get through it. You're so so strong Darby, don't let anyone tell you different. And don't think for even a second that you're going to fail because you're not."

Darby turns her hand over and holds onto Phils, squeezing it back. "Do you believe in guardian angels, Phil?" 

Phil ponders for a moment, acting calm. He knows that if he slips up, Darby would become curious. Darby's a strong but skeptical woman, she wouldn't believe Phil is an angel, but even so, Phil has to act natural.

"I like to think there's someone out there that cares, yes. Do you?"

"Well." Darby lets go of Phil's hand and holds her cigarette up to her mouth, ready to take a drag. "If I have one... they're doing a pretty shoddy job."

As Darby puts her cigarette into her mouth, I walk into the kitchen tiredly. It smells strongly of cigarette smoke and I hold back a cough. I'm not a fan of Darby's smoking habits but I don't want to make her stand outside just to calm her nerves. She's been through so much, I want to make sure she's comfortable compared to standing out in the cold.

"You're both awake? What time is it?" I ask as I rub the sleep from my eyes, making my vision blurred for a moment.

"Don't worry, I've only just woken up," Phil explains as he flips on the kettle, beginning to make three coffees.

I take a seat next to Darby who has so obviously been crying. "Have you been crying Darbs?" 

Darby shrugs. "I just needed to get a little built up emotion out my system, don't worry about me, Sugar." She answers. She flicks her cigarette into the bin effortlessly and exhales a cloud of smoke. "I stink. I need my clothes."

Phil finishes the drinks and puts one in front of me and Darby before sitting next to me.

"I could go and get your things later if you like? Or what hasn't been damaged." Phil offers.

"I'll go too. We could call Max as well to use his pickup truck. You can stay here until you have the money needed for repairs." I offer.

Darby suddenly wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly. "What did the world do to deserve you Sweetie?"

---

A/N:
So I'm tryna update everyday. Wonder how long I can keep that up hmmmmmmmmm