*chapter eight*

- A l y c e -

"We should definitely run that song again, Luke your vocals were all over the place; whats got into you?" Calum yelled at the blonde boy that stood with his guitar looking awkwardly at the floor.

I too was wondering what had got into Luke, could be something to do with the conversation we had together. Usually he is so damn smug at his band practises because he knows he is bloody good. This was very out of character for Luke Hemmings.

"I'm trying Calum!" he shouted aggressively yet still not looking up from his feet.

"Well you're not trying hard enough" He angrily replied

Just as Calum looked like he was going to take a swing towards Luke, Mikey jumped in suggesting they took a five minute break. However the way this rehearsal was going they might as well just call it a day. They had barely got through Try Hard, Beside You was a mess; it wasn't just Luke that couldn't keep it together, Good Girls sounded average but Rejects was totally off key.

Calum stormed off shortly followed by Mikey. I had seen a nasty side of Calum before usually towards to me but never towards Luke. The look on his face was a picture, he literally looked like he could kill Luke.

"Well I thought you sounded fine, Luke" I told him in the sincerest manner. Okay, I was slightly lying when I told him it sounded fine, it wasn't his best; but for some reason I felt compelled to make sure he was okay.

"Thanks Alyce, it's not my best but I just feel ill" He replied looking up from his feet to exchange a weak smile with me.

For the first time Luke was treating me like an actual human being and not vermin. Maybe he was being truthful when he told me he liked me, maybe Calum didn't put him up to it? Surely if Hood had put him up to it they would be best friends and acting all big and clever. But they weren't, well Luke wasn't.

Ashton seemed absolutely oblivious to everything, but then again he hadn't notice how his best friends treated me, still treat me.

"Are you sick or something? Maybe you are coming down with a chest infection?" I replied. This was surprising, I was genuinely concerned.

"Yeah maybe you are Hemmings. Lets just call this practise over. You are no use to us if you don't have a voice. Come over to ours? Alyce makes this great soup for colds" Ashton spoke getting up from behind his drum kit.

I was being nice towards Luke; however one nice action doesn't equal Alyce Ramos nursing Luke Hemmings back to health. Ashton genuinely thought him coming back to ours was a good idea, I didn't disagree with it but i certainly didn't advocate it.

"I-I d-dont want to i-impose or anything" Luke stuttered awkwardly running his hand through his hair letting his guitar sling around to his back.

"Well Ash has already invited you over; so you can tell the boys? I'll meet you in the car" I sighed before making my way through Calum's house and out the front door. I didn't bother to shout goodbye to the other two.

Sitting in the passenger seat, I got out my phone and scrolled through my twitter feed. It was the early hours in the morning back in England so most of my friends weren't tweeting. It sucks that they aren't over here, especially the times when I really just need someone to tell me that it is going to be okay. I do really miss the girls and the guys that I had become friends with within my first year of university and of course I miss my family but I do know that being here gives me an advantage over other applicants. I am studying international law at an international university.

@AlyceRamos - ashtoooon hurry up

I was putting my phone back into my bag when I received a notification.