Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Your what?" Did I hear her right did she say her mother.

My mom took a deep breath. "She's our mother."

"But I thought my grandmother died." I said confused.

"You told her I died?" Miss Lena said. Or should I say my Grandmother.

"I didn't think you guys would ever meet." My mom said.

"That's no reason to make the child think I died!"

"Wait, wait this is just a little too much for me right now." I said cutting them off. My mom hasn't even been in here for a good five minutes and some shit already happenin'. "So Nika is my Aunt?" I asked.

"No. She's you sister, your twin sister to be exact."

"My what? No that can't be right. We don't even look alike." I said turning to Nika and she looked just as confused as I was maybe even more.

"You're fraternal twins." My mom said.

"Well since you got all the answers mom let me ask you this," I paused and she nodded her head for me to continue. "Why did you split us up, why have been keeping this from me for so long?"

"I thought it would be best to wait until you were eighteen."

"Well that answers my second question."

"It became too much to handle, me at sixeen with two babies and no-"

"You were sixteen when you had me?" She nodded her head yes. "So how old were you when you had Terrance?" I asked confused. Terrance and my moms eye shot back and forth as they looked at each other then at me. "Is Terrance even my real brother?" I asked lowly. She shook her head no. "Un- freakin- believable." I said leaning against the counter. "Did you know about this too Aunty, is that what you were talking to Miss Lena about, you were trying to make sure that she wouldn't say anything, What about you Uncle Charles, did you know about it too?!" I asked loudly.

"Cree-" My mom started.

"Nah, I really don't wanna hear anything from you right now."

"Cree chill out just listen to what she have to say." Terrance said.

"Why should I, so many secrets have been kept, I feel like I don't even know my own family no more, I feel like everything I been told is a lie." I said. My throat felt like it was closing. I looked around the silent kitchen and all eyes were on me. Even my two cousins looked sad for me, but what really bothered me the most was that Malik was here giving me a sympathetic look and witnessing all my business being put out there like that. "I can't take this." I said leaning off the counter. I walked away from the kitchen and out of the front door.

I walked off the front porch and on to the sidewalk and put my hands over face. I exhaled harshly. I looked up to the November sky as the sun was just getting ready to set. When I brought my head back down the tears fell. I have never cried so much in my life, ever since I came to Georgia it has been bringing a soft spot out of me, from family all the way down to Malik himself.

I heard the front open from behind me. I hope no one is trying to come out and talk to me. "Cree?" I heard someone call to me.

I looked back and saw Malik standing there, soon after Nika came out of the house looking just as upset as I was maybe even more. I wiped my eyes before I turned to Malik. "Malik, I don't want to talk." I said lowly.

"I know, you don't have to talk just listen."

"I don't want to listen to you either." I said.

"Why you gotta be so stubborn, just listen."