Chapter 9

As soon as we pulled up down the dirt driveway, I smiled at the familiar summer home. It wasn't too tall, like our home, but it was still big. It wasn't square, it was more circular in its shaping. The colouring of the house was a light blue, since my parents wanted it to look slightly more glamourous than the other summer homes. The beautiful building was right against the water, about twenty feet from the stunning lake. The cottage was built on a slight hill which sloped down towards the lake and alongside the lake in a meadow. A beautiful wooden porch of the cottage that went down on steps to the lake. A wooden dock, about ten feet wide and twenty feet long, stretched out from the land and across the water. Our nice Four Winns wakeboard boat was parked on the side of the dock with a black cotton cover on it.

"This is home." I muttered and stood, facing the lake with my hands on my hips.

The memories flooded to me, good ones, involving wakeboarding, swimming, sun tanning and nights around the campfire. I remember my mother would chop of fresh fruit and bring them to us as we sat outside, waiting to start our day.

"Monreau, are you going to help us unpack?" my dad asked me from the screen door that led out onto the deck behind me.

"Can I just stay here for a while?" I asked him politely.

"Sure thing, darling."

He went back inside to finish unpacking.

I stared back out onto the completely flat water. It was so beautiful. The rolling hills peaked highly along the shore, summer homes spotted in between. Buttermere was a small lake, but it was my second home.

I stared at the white cottage across the width of the lake and smiled as the memories flooded back to me. The neighbours were always so much fun and I had actually really bonded with them.

I couldn't wait to get my bathing suit on and go wakeboarding.

Another car pulled up which made me whip my head around. The two men got out, Harry and Nick.

I had forgotten that they were following us once I woke up from my nap. The excitement that had build up in my stomach quickly diminished when I saw the two men who had ruined my life the past few weeks.

I scowled at the men, even though they couldn't see me and then turned back to the lake to try and bring back the beautiful memories to suppress the bad ones, but it didn't work.

I sighed and ran my palms over my makeup free face, trying to forget about the men and how I would try and get out of this mess that I was brought into.

I walked up the steps of the deck and stepped into the warm cottage, the familiar click of the ceiling fans were faint and as were the quiet voices that came from the kitchen where the groceries were being unpacked.

I peaked into the living room and saw that Jake and his girlfriend Bonnie, were cuddling together on the couch.

"Hey Bonnie." I greeted and entered the living room.

Bonnie looked away from Jake and smiled at me, her dark eyes lighting up when she saw me.

"Hey Moni, it's been a while." Bonnie giggled in her slightly annoying higher pitched voice. She got up from the couch and untangled herself from Jake.

She walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me in a hug. I hugged her skinny little body and held it close with mine.

"It's been only three weeks." I remind her and pull away from the embrace with a big smile at her. She always seemed to make me happy.

"Three weeks too long!" she joked.

"Kids!" my dad shouted before we could even continue talking. "Get in your swimsuits so we can get one quick wakeboard in for each of you! And you two can come in the boat if you want."