Chapter Nineteen

Why do I do these things to myself? I had suggested the shopping trip. I had thought it would be so much fun. And yet here I sat, waiting as Lizzie and Kristen finished trying on their fourteenth and seventeenth dress so far. We had been to nearly every store in the mall. Lizzie had assured me we would make it to every one.

I was just glad Page and Astrid seemed as bored of this as I was, though whether that was Astrid's baby pressing on her bladder and making her antsy, or Page's wanting to get back to Tom, I didn't really care. We'd spent a couple hours just sitting in the food court talking, considering Lizzie and Kristen seemed to have enough energy for all of us.

''Ugh, can this be it?" Page whined, moaning as she rolled to the other side of her chair, flailed about upon it.

''I promise, there's only one store left.'' Lizzie sighed, coming out in what I hoped was her last dress.

''How can there still be one left?'' Astrid replied, nearly under her breath, given that we were all werewolves with super-strength hearing, we ignored it.

''And we saved the best for last, too!" Kristen popped out of her dressing room, thankfully in her own clothes.

''Is it on the way home?'' I volunteered. Again, the two ignored our complaints.

''Why don't you guys check out here and head there? I have one last one to try on, and seeing as I have no mate, I have no use for where you all are going.'' Lizzie winked at Kristen and I began to feel very worried.

''What does she mean?'' I asked, panic rising as Kristen just smiled, dragging me, Page and Astrid out of the store, my feet protesting the whole way.

''Aren't the guards supposed to protect us from danger?'' Page hissed at me, and I laughed.

''Mason needs better men,'' I whispered back, right behind the ear of a particular guard who held a completely stale personality.

He froze where he stood, then turned slowly, peering down at me. "Excuse me?''

''I said, Mason needs to find guards who recognize a true threat,'' I teased, knowing that couldn't detect my humor.

''I'm sorry you feel that way Luna,'' He spoke calmly, but a hint of uneasiness was in his voice,"We did not consider a person you invite-''

''Relax Joe, I'm just teasing you,'' I sighed, patting his shoulder, at which he flinched, looking at me strangely.

''Is his name Joe?''Astrid asked as we continued following Kristen down the hall,''I could have sworn it was Zac.''

''Probably is,'' I laughed, which died as soon as Kristen walked into Hell on Earth, or Victoria's Secret, as some like to put it.

''There are so many things wrong with this place,'' Astrid sighed as we entered. The guards were somehow all really interested in the map on the wall right outside, and hadn't yet entered. I decided if I was going to be in here, I might as well have a little fun.

"Hey, Zac!" I called, waiting for the head to turn, at my smile, he may have looked a little concerned. But that was nothing compared to the grimace he gave me when I said,''Come here, I need some help picking these out.''

''Yes, Luna,'' He spoke through gritted teeth, obviously trying to ignore the cackling, snorting and cat-calls coming from the group of guards outside.

''Which do you think the Alpha would appreciate more? I like the red, since it goes with my skin tone, but Astrid says the cheetah print is perfect,'' I spoke with a perfectly straight face, just one of my many gifts, while holding the lingerie before Zac, a tomato on top of a torso at this point.