Chapter Twenty-Two

Again, I was up early. Mason was out cold, but I wasn't going to actually get up this morning. We had two Alphas and their parties coming today, and if yesterday was any sign for today, I wanted all the relaxation I could get.

Unfortunately, I knew it would end soon. Lucas had been talking about my training starting today. Mason was upping the training for everyone this week anyways, to show off our power, I suppose. I sighed and rolled to face him, looking at his mouth hanging slightly open and feeling that warm, balloon-like feeling build inside of me. I still couldn't say it to him. I did, but I couldn't admit that to anyone besides myself.

''Ava?'' He groaned, surprising me that he was even close to being awake. His eyelids tightened and he moaned as what must have been a horrible hangover hit him. I smiled and went to the windows, pulling the second blind down over the first. The room was much darker, but thanks to my werewolf sense, I was able to see the calm wash over his face as I joined him again in bed.

''Yes, Mason?'' I smirked, watching him rub his temple and crawling in next to him. I leaned over him, seated on his side and gazed down.

''God, what happened last night?'' he asked and I sighed, running my palm down the side of his face smoothly. He turned into my hand and I decided being mean wasn't the best choice, considering all that Lucas had warned me of.

''When I came back, you found out we had been ambushed,'' I felt him tense beneath me and curled down into his side, still running my hand up and down the opposite side of his neck.

''And after that?'' He prompted huskily. As he'd stiffened, I'd slid my leg over his waist and felt his enjoyment against my inner thigh.

''You said something about not being able to save them or me, and then started to drink,'' I mumbled into his shoulder, suddenly afraid any mentioning of that was going to send him into another rampage. I cringed at what the maid was going to do at the sight of his office.

He was stony in the few moments after my response. I looked up finally to find him staring straight up and softened my expression. I slid up onto his chest, pushing myself up to where he had been glaring at. His own face softened as it saw mine and I smiled sadly.

''I will always protect you,'' He growled, deeply, low, and manly. My smile widened and I leaned down to kiss below the corner of his jaw and ear, hearing him sigh in response.

"I know,'' I smiled against him and slide my legs down so that his member was against my core. His hands ran along my legs to my ass and rested there, holding me as he sat up and moved to the end of the bed.

Within a few moments, I'd grown tired of kissing around his neck and chest and faced him. His breathing was heavy, his excitement firm and his gaze only on me. And then his lips were mine.

***

"I have to take a shower,'' I sighed from beneath Mason as he moved along me, kissing wherever he felt appropriate, which was everywhere. I smiled as his mouth landed on the tip of my thumb.

''Me too,'' He smirked, looking up for the first time in a while. I rolled my eyes but smiled, letting him whisk me away to a steamy shower, and stepping out when I was finished with both my cleaning and his.

''Here,'' he unwrapped the towel from his waist and wrapped it around me beneath my arms, taking his time when tying it over my chest. I smirked at him,''I have to go meet with Lucas before the next Alpha arrives, training starts at ten.''

He left me there with a final kiss and embrace. If I could float just from the effervescence of my feelings, I would be a million miles high.

I changed into a set of running shorts, a razorback and tennis shoes. Lastly, I spent quite a bit of time blowing out my hair and brushing through it. Finally, I found myself heading downstairs.