Chapter Twenty-Seven

I sat in the front seat of Jackson's car, my eyes glued to his profile. My hands were chained to the car door with silver and even if I was able to move, I wouldn't. All my hopes of ending his life before we left were lost as we sped down the road, a journey I'd made not too long ago. But this time the thing I'd been running away from was two feet next to me and driving me there.

"My darling Ava," he cooed, his finger rubbing right under my chin. I didn't even work to soften my eyes, he had always said it was the feistiness in me that turned him on, so I bit at his finger. I caught it in my mouth and smirked at him. His eyes went wide and he slammed on the breaks just as the towns sign passed us by. We were on Mason's territory. Patrol would know. This was not good.

Jackson pulled over sharply, nearly sending us off the road and into the trees. He hadn't had the car parked for a moment before he was in my seat, above me and clinging to me. He'd forced his rough lips onto mine and couldn't keep his hands from places I really didn't want them to be.

He had just reached for the zipper on my sweatshirt when a growl was heard outside of the car. It wasn't Mason, thankfully. That would have ruined my plan. It was Tom and a troop of vaguely familiar men from my pack.

*Pretend you don't recognize me.* I ordered through the mind link as Jackson slowly pulled down the zipper, not having noticed the interruption.

"Alpha, these men would like us to continue to the pa-" It was Connor, attempting to help me. Jackson only growled. Panic built up inside of me. What if he took it too far? Connor and Tom were right outside of the car. I sent Tom a pleading look but he was still stunned and confused with the circumstances.

"Jackson," I attempted to deepen my voice in an efforts I make it sound like I was turned on in some way by any of this. It must have worked because Jackson's gaze snapped to mine. I rested my hand above the neckline of his shirt, currently buttoned down to his mid chest. "This is going to wait until later." Without waiting for his response, I dug my nails in a bit, cutting through skin only slightly. It was enough for him to feel it.

I'd expected the sick grin on his face. I knew he was twisted, into weird things like pain for pleasure. I shouldn't have been quite as surprised when he shoved his face into me, eyes boring my own, and spat,"I like this new you." Before removing my handcuffs.

And then we got out, letting Jackson's men take care of getting the cars to the garage. Jackson, Tom, Connor and I shifted, Tom leading the way with his troop. He was supposed to be the only one who knew these parts. My window was getting slimmer and slimmer, I knew that. Mason would know by now that I was gone. As soon as he saw me in Jackson's arms, he would attack, anything, anyone.

*What the hell is going on Ava? What have you done to Mason?* Tom growled.

*Why does everyone think Mason is the goddamn victim?* I screamed back at him internally, it was really starting to frustrate me that no one thought further than where Mason was left.

*So then what's going-*

But right as Tom asked me this, we reached the front, where Mason was erupting from the front entrance, Lucas was emerging from the forest's edge and the majority of the pack and our visitors awaited something.

"Jackson," Mason spoke as each of us shifted. Everything happened so quickly. Jackson's arms fell around my waist, Mason's eyes connected with mine and fell to Jackson's as well as the cuffs still around my wrists. And then he lunged toward us, a growl ripping through the air just as he did,"Mine."

In the past, Jackson had recognized the fact that he was not my true mate, but he was convinced that I was his. He had spoken of the time that would come where I would meet my actual mate. He'd described what he would do to whomever he was. Jackson retaliated by lunging towards Mason.