23

Song: The Night We Met -- Lord Huron.

It has been a couple days since the announcement of Mason's death at the hospital and his funeral is today. His family has been devasted as have I too.

"Are you ready?" Theo whispered while I stared at myself in the mirror. I had a black button up shirt with some black jeans and black shoes. There wasn't even light in my eyes or skin. I was pale due to the lack of sun I've gotten these past days.

"Yea," Mason's mom had asked me to speak at his funeral. I have no idea how I'm going to get through it without crying.

Theo had worn something similar to me. He hasn't left my side since the incident at the hospital and I had repeatedly apologized for pushing him.

In silence, we walk downstairs to meet up with my parents. The red in my mom's eyes were still evident from last nights crying. Mason was family to us and now he is gone. "C'mon honey," She kissed my forehead as a tear escaped my eye. 

The ride was quiet, nothing but the sound of cars passing by filling in the silence. Our breaths were so quiet it seemed as if we weren't breathing. 

Theo intertwined his hand with mine trying to comfort me but I could feel his sadness radiating in waves. "It's okay," I whisper sadly before we arrived. 

Mason's mom and dad were outside. Mrs. Hewitt was hiding in her husband's chest most likely crying. "Mrs. Hewitt," I started and once she heard my name she grabbed my face while tears fell. 

"Liam, if it's too hard for you to speak you don't have to do it," she wiped at my face. "I want to, It's my way of saying goodbye when I couldn't have the chance," whispering as I closed my eyes.

--

Everyone was here, the pack had been in their seats while the preacher talked. 

"Mason Hewitt was a loving young man. He never let his family or friends down." it was like any other speech at a funeral that the preacher would give. Same 'loving, family, friends' bullshit.

"And now, as I say my goodbye's, Liam Dunbar his best friend will be saying some words." my hands began to get clammy as I hesitantly got up onto the stage behind the long stand with my papers tightly held. 

I had sloppily written these with some tear stains here and there. Everyone was staring at me, waiting for the speech. My eyes looked at the scrambled writing before I set them back down and shakily breath.

"M-Mason," my voice cracked and in order to stop myself, I closed my eyes. "I came prepared but I can't seem to read the words," whispering while folding the papers. 

"Mason was my best friend in the whole entire world," starting off simple. "He never failed to make me happy when I was sad. He always encouraged me. Always accepted me. He was there when I was first diagnosed with IED. Even after he knew I was very dangerous he didn't let me go. He never stopped believing in me" a sad smiles forms as a memory resurfaced. 

"I remember this one time- this one time we um, we were about 12 or so and we were climbing this tree. It was fine at first but when we saw how high we were, I started freaking out. He demonstrated first how easily it was by him climbing down first before fully jumping to his feet." my mom stared with a small smile. "I tried to copy but I ended up scraping my leg."

"I remember I used to get bullied a lot when I was in middle school because of my anger issues. A lot of people would point and laugh and whisper, but not Mason. He helped me through those years." My eyes land on a picture of him on the stand where he is looking into the camera with a small smile. There several and a certain one caught my eyes. 

We were in 8th grade and he was getting me ice cream. As a joke, I smeared ice cream into his face to which he ended up smearing it in my hair and his mom had caught it on camera. 

My hand reaches up to my face to wipe the tear that had fallen, "He was my lifesaver," a cry escaped my lips while I held the stand. "I never thought he would leave me like this. I always thought he was the strongest person in the world because he was brave and didn't care about anyone else's judgment. I'm sorry, Mason for not being able to save you," a sob escaped my lips once again.

Sobs and cries seemed to be the constant cycle since that night. I dropped to the floor. I could feel sadness everywhere in this room

Theo and the pack quickly got off their seat to come to. My mom had pushed through the crowd before she hugged me tightly.

"Mommy I miss him so so much," crying into her chest. "I know baby me too."

[]

Currently crying while writing this. So my book is coming to an end. I have one last chapter to upload and then this story is done. 

I won't let you down on the last chapter I promise! <3<3<3.