3:"CAN'T TOUCH THIS" (12.23.19)

Remi is silent the entire car ride. As we pull into The Grind, Remi looked over at me, as if about to ask a question, but looks away quickly.

Wonder what that was about...

"Here we are," I shiver, taking the key out of the ignition.

"Home sweet home," He jokes, earning a laugh in response. "Let's make a run for it."

"Last one to the door has to pay!" I exclaim, already halfway out of my car.

Truth is, I left my wallet in the car, so there's no way I'm going to lose.

The rain devours us once more, but we're laughing too hard to notice. I run around my car and run as fast as my heavy clothes will allow me. Remi was even worse off than I was.

I wasn't too worried about my car. The seats are cloth, so they'll simply dry in time.

I beat Remi to the door, a triumphant smile on my lips. "Aha! I beat you!" I poke his chest and jump up in victory.

He laughs lowly and reaches above me to pull the door open for me. Inside, we are immediately taken aback by how warm it is. It was like walking into a sauna. From the corner of my eye, I spot Remi's shoulders relax. A sigh of bliss escapes my lips.

Red booths surrounded the perimeter of the inside of the café, encasing matching tables and chairs. It was entirely empty, except one table that held a pair of older ladies. Their hair was grey. They were laughing with each other like they were old friends - and they probably were. Their attention turns towards us when we walk in, making me feel extremely aware of my actions and surroundings.

Remington takes no notice. As he walks towards the front counter, an older man - probably around sixty or so - came from a back room. The man's smile was enough to know that he definitely knew Remi. And Remi's smile back assured me that, yes, they knew each other.

The man stood to be around 5'9, clearly shorter than Remi, who was probably 6' flat. I walk up beside Remi quietly, not wanting to bring any attention to myself. My hands find the hem of my flannel out of habit. When I'm nervous I find myself scratching and playing with the hem of my shirt.

"Remington! Long time, no see!" He chuckles, going around the counter to shake Remi's hand, glancing at me curiously, a smirk on his face.

"It's been two days, Justin," Remi chuckles.

An awkward silence distributes over the three of us until Justin clears his throat. "And who might you be?"

I jump at the attention. "I-I'm Gr-Gracelynn." I stutter, tugging at the sleeves of my flannel in embarrassment.

Remington clears his throat quietly. "This is my friend, Gracelynn. I ran into her and asked her to come here with me. Justin, Gracelynn - Gracelynn, Justin."

I offer my hand out in the empty space between Justin and I, but he just stares at my hand for a moment before pulling me into a bear hug.

"Oh, I'm sorry! My clothes are wet and I just got you wet..." I apologize sheepishly, but Justin just brushes it off with a wide grin on his face.

"Let's get you two something to warm you up - on the house." Justin says, taking his place behind the cash register.

"Oh, no, you don't have to-" Remington and I begin.