10:"He's totally into you."(4.06.20)

Friday rolls around, and yes, I am still failing Spanish. Brody had been busy with football practice all week after school and I didn't want to stress him out, so he offered to do it tomorrow over brunch, which I was a bit hesitant about.
Tonight was Brody's football game that he's forcing me to go to.
"What's on your mind?" Alex asks, stealing food from my tray.
I glare at him playfully in response. "Nothing, food stealer,"
Alex laughs, turning his attention back to Willa, who was staring at him with all the admiration in the world.
Just date already!!!
"You guys ready for the big game tonight?" Cora asks excitedly. Cora absolutely loved going anywhere. She was the person who got mad if you didn't bring her to the store with you, just because she didn't want to feel "left out".
The tables hoots their response, and Brody smirks at us in appreciation. I wonder what it feels like to have as much constant support as he does. And it's all the time! Maybe he gets tired of it all and chooses to ignore it. It must be nice, being surrounded by people that care about you and are there for you no matter what the situation. Pushing food around my tray, I put my head in my right hand, deep in thought.
Someone taps my shoulder behind me and when I turn around, I am met with one of Lance's followers. Brody's chair squeals against the floor as he gets up, but I also stand up. "Brody, let him talk." I say, noticing the guilt in his eyes.
"Listen, Lance was messed up for doing what he did. If I was there I would've tried to convince him not to. I'm sorry about what he did. He's stupid and immature, and I know that doesn't excuse what he did, but still. I-I just wanted to apologize." He says quietly. He had shaggy blond hair that fell over his blue eyes and stood a good few inches taller than me.
"Thank you. I appreciate it," I smile, causing the boy to relax. But then he glances over at Brody and stiffens up again. I look over and find Brody giving him the death glare.
"And thank you for not allowing Brody to kill me on the spot. I'm Shane." He offers me a hand, nervously squirming under Brody's stare. I take his hand and shake it firmly.
Shane seemed nice, but he seemed like someone who just took what he could get. He followed whoever would take him in. He was a lost puppy trying to find its mother. A tinge of guilt hit me. I remember feeling that way. I would look and look for someone, but the only person there was Collette, who understood nothing about me at the time. She had no idea why I was sad and upset. She had no idea why I was crying all the time. She didn't figure out my mom died from me - she found out by her parents. After that, Collette had been there for me, and she still is.
Collette is like my sister I've never had but always wished for. She always knew how to make me feel better when I was upset. No matter how many people I could fool with my tight, forced smile, I could never fool her. She always seemed to...know. The selfish part of me wished her and Nick were here with me, but I know their parents are in California and that they needed to be there.
I watch Shane nod and walk away. Brody follows after me and sits in his seat before continuing conversation normally with Remi.
"So we'll go over to your house tonight before the game, us girls?" Cora asks me over everyone else's conversations.
My eyes widen. "Of course! The door's always open for you guys!" I smile back at the girls. Gratitude radiates off of them. It makes me happy to know that they want to spend time with all of us together.
---
"You're still failing, Gracelynn," Mrs Russo says, a small frown on display.
I sigh. "Yes, ma'am, I am. Brody and I are planning on studying tomorrow, and I promise I will come in on Monday knowing the days of the week, the months of the year, and how to count to fifty." I assure her, leaning down on the desk.
Mrs Russo nods her head and smiles. "I like the assurance! Be ready for a mini quiz on Monday that will go towards your grade."
I nod and walk back to my seat. The rest of class consisted of constant questioning from me and well-dictated responses from Brody. We had been casually texting, but it was mostly Brody trying to annoy me. Today he was wearing light washed ripped jeans, Adidas, a gray hoodie, and a dull blue jacket over it. His grey eyes contrasted perfectly.