20:"I'm better off not knowing, I think."

Feel free to point out typos:))

"Gracelynn!" I glance behind me. Willa was running up to me from the parking lot, trying to catch me before I made it to the front doors of our school. Stopping in my tracks, I wait for Willa with a gentle smile.

"Three days ago you were sick! Tomorrow is the big Homecoming game, and this Saturday is the dance!" Willa exclaimed excitedly as we walk down the hallway.

Cora walks up to us. "And don't think you aren't going, babe. You're gonna wear the heck outta Brody's jersey!" She squealed. People began to stare, so I get quiet. A ghost of a smile appears on my lips in response to Cora.

The bell rings.

"Catch you two lovelies later!" Cora ran off, blowing us a kiss as she goes.

Willa giggles, says goodbye, then walks to her locker.

---

"Aren't you ready for tomorrow, Brody?" Alex asked Brody at lunch. Everyone was so excited for the big game - even more so than usual. Even Anden and Remi seemed to have bigger smirks on their faces today.

I had been sick for three days, staying at home and sleeping it off. Brody came to check on me every day and would stay the night in my guest bedroom, but he didn't appear to be getting much sleep at all. Brody wore a tired, tight-lipped smile, messy hair, and bags under his eyes. I could tell something was a bit off about it, considering that the guest bedroom remained to look untouched the past three or four days.

I was afraid he wasn't sleeping as much as he needed to. And because of the big game, he definitely needs it. "Yeah. Real excited, man," Brody yawned, putting a hand over his mouth. No one seemed to take notice of his strange behavior.

Finally, my curiosity got the best of me. Picking up a french fry from my tray, I ask, "Are you okay, Brody?" His gaze when he makes eye contact with me softens.

I can tell he doesn't feel too well.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Really? You don't seem like it." I shoot back, eyeing him worriedly.

Brody looks away and puts his head in his left hand. "A little tired is all."

The table quietens.

"You should get some rest. After all, everyone is depending on you tomorrow night. You're our star, Parker." Anden chimes in, her face blank. The way she said it made it sound like Brody had no choice but to accept what she's saying.

"I'm fine-"

"That's a lie, dude," Anden retorted, laughing emotionlessly. Her head titled back with no hint of humor.

"Anden, please-"

"No. Go take care of yourself. Go home."

Brody sighed loudly, obviously frustrated. The rest of us sit silently, afraid to speak up. Alex looked probably the most confused - but we all were. We had never seen Anden this way towards Brody before. It was uncommon, really.

After a couple of seconds of the two having a stare-off, Brody looks away with a grunt. "Alright. I'll go home." He got up abruptly, grabbing his bag from the floor beside him. I watch him lug it over his shoulder, pick up his tray, and leave.