TEN

< : > : Chapter Ten : < : >

Harlow \ Phoenix \ Other people

Falling on the couch tired from work my eyes roamed around my living space. There wasn't much decoration because I had no style and I didn't want anything to clash so I kept a few grey and black pictures of landscape on the wall so they weren't bare. I had a simple rug that felt amazing to walk on and two small coffee tables.

I enjoyed having my own space but sometimes I missed being around someone else. Timara was great to hang out with when I wanted some girl time but . . .

I missed Phoenix.

There was no need to get excited or do something to keep me busy and awake until he called because he wasn't and it sucked.

Letting my head roll to the side I looked at the love seat wandering what it would be like if Phoenix could take me out on a date. I would probably be running around the house in a towel crying in the phone to Timara that I wasn't ready. Phoenix would probably be calm like a cucumber already knowing that he was desirable and didn't need anything to make him perfect.

Shaking my head I walked to the kitchen needing to cook some dinner. Opening the fridge I looked at the bareness rolling my eyes. Papa would have a fit if he saw this. Checking my pantry I grabbed the half box of spaghetti noodles.

Turning on some music I danced waiting for the water to boil. Grabbing my laptop I checked my e-mail for anything from the business I sent my résumé to. Seeing one from the post office I read it over slumping my shoulders once I read the first line. It was just an automated email letting me know that they received my application and would get back to me within five to seven business days. Scrolling through my inbox some more there was nothing else.

By the time I was done eating dinner and cleaned the few dirty dishes it was almost nine o'clock. Running myself a bubble bath I relaxed with my one good candle that smelled like cotton candy and my Shea Moisture face mask.

Time seemed like it was slowly ticking by as I sat up thinking that I heard my phone ring. Reaching over to check the screen there was nothing.

No missed calls. No voicemails. Nothing.

"It's been less than one day and I'm going crazy."

This had to be a sign

or

I was just lonely as hell

Draining the tub I turned on the shower washing up and getting out frustrated with myself for missing him so much. This was what I wanted. I wanted to slow things down and now I couldn't handle it.

Falling into bed I untucked the knot of the towel at my chest pulling it from under me. Naked in the bed with only my lilac towel covering my goods I looked at the purple lights hanging around the frame of my window.

The soft light gave a nice look like I knew it would and the night breeze was perfect for now but one day it would get cold. One day I would have to shut the window and turn on the heat . . .

Bundled up in my bed covers with my phone close to my ear telling Phoenix that I hated him for living where it was warm and sunny.

"UUUUGH!!"

Crawling up the bed I turned off the light waiting in the darkness until my thoughts settled and sleep took me.

The next day was just as uneventful as the next

and the next

and the next

and the next

Until a total of twenty-five days had passed and there was still no call from him.

I couldn't lie and say that it didn't hurt because it did. We had an agreement and he didn't call once the three days passed leaving me to stare at my phone flipping it over every two seconds. Checking my call log and voicemail making sure I didn't miss it. After the first week of worrying that something had happened to him I checked Corey's Instagram out of curiosity to see if he posted any new picture of him and Phoenix and he did. There were a few pictures of them and they were on land.

I was happy for him . . . both of them really. Remembering that Phoenix was ready to be on land and off the ship he finally was and I was happy. As the days passed the little bit of hurt I felt soon vanished and I went back to sleeping through the night like I did before I got his aunt's number.

Timara and I had decided to do something different and go out this weekend. Having gone out just a few times I felt as if it was the perfect time to go shopping. Find something sexy and fun but not inviting. I didn't want to leave with anyone I just wanted a night of dancing and maybe a few shots.

Skyping with Timara while she was on her lunch break I showed her my choices for tonight. We both agreed on a black off the shoulder dress and what time she should come over. Once I hung up I bought the dress and a few accessories.

As the cashier scanned my items I looked over back to the stand of sunglasses when a woman in my peripheral looked away.

Narrowing my eyes I looked back at the cashier handing over the due amount. Waiting for my receipt I looked back over to the where the woman was and she quickly looked down.

"Here you go ma'am. You have a nice day."

"Thanks, you too." I smiled back taking my bag.

Walking towards the door I could hear someone behind me. Turning around the older woman with her black hair in a low ponytail hurried over to me with a boy about thirteen dragging behind her looking down at his phone.

"Hi young lady."

"Hi."

"I know this may seem a bit odd but I was wondering if your name was Harlow? Harlow Booker?"

"It . . . is."

Stranger danger?

"It's such a pleasure to finally meet you!" Her hazel eyes filled with tears.

What is happening?

Wiping her tears the young boy walked closer to his woman. "Why are you crying mom?" Looking at me his cheeks turned a light pink. "Hi."

"Hi."

"I'm so sorry." She smiled wiping her tears  away. "I'm a mess but this is the lady that helped us get Nicky's number again. Remember when I got a new number and I couldn't remember Nicky's number and misplaced his address?"

Nicky?

Nicky as in Nick?

Phoenix's Aunt Justine . . . and Dylan!

Dylan looked at me lowering the phone in his hand. "You're Harlow?"

"I am."

Putting out his hand his pink cheeks deepened in color. "I'm Dylan. T-thanks for helping Nicky."

"It was my pleasure."

"You're just as pretty as he said."

"Oh! Well thank you Dylan. That's very sweet of -"

"Here! Say hi!" He shoved his phone in my face.

My eyes widened at the person on the screen.

"Harlow."

< : > : < : > : < : >