THIRTY - TWO

< : > : Chapter Thirty - Two : < : >
Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

4 Months Later

My plane landed in Palm Springs a little after ten in the morning. I had spent the entire flight bouncing my knee with excitement. Phoenix and I were finally going to be able to hold each other after seven months. Timara had to stop me several times reassuring me that we would get to California in one piece. She had fallen asleep for most of the flight waking up every now and then to buy a refreshment. Headphones, neck pillow, and personal blanket Timara was comfortable while I couldn't calm my nerves enough to eat a bag of chips.

Getting in a taxi we told the man our destination already agreeing to split the money for the hour plus drive. Texting my parents that we had landed safely and on our way to base Timara did the same to hers.

Phoenix and Corey didn't have a set time for getting off of work but they were hoping that because the ball was tomorrow they would be released instead of having chow. Sending Phoenix a text that we were on our way he sent me back a cute can't wait to see you text with two heart eyes emojis.

"You're texting Phoenix, aren't you?"

Locking my phone I smiled at Timara. "Don't judge me."

"Oh I'm not, believe me. I just caught myself smiling at Corey's text."

"I'm so glad that you decided to come. You may not know it but you're really keeping me calm."

"I'm calm on the outside. On the inside I'm freaking out too. I haven't seen Corey in four months!"

"I understand completely. I hope our dresses didn't get wrinkled. Hey, are you two staying in the same hotel as us?"

Timara scrolled through her phone nodding before showing the confirmation email. "I booked it two months ago so I doubt we'll be anywhere near each other . . . I did want to ask you though, did you book two bed or one?"

Nibbling on my bottom lip my heart began to race. "I um . . . I didn't book the room. Phoenix told me that he would handle everything and to just bring myself and the dress."

"Aw, that's so sweet. I couldn't wait for Corey to book the hotel. He was taking forever and I was afraid we would run out of time. "

We talked and shared with each other different ideas about what we could do in Vegas. Phoenix, Corey, Timara and I were taking Phoenix's car to Vegas tonight no matter what time they got off giving us a few hours to walk around today and tomorrow night after the ball.

Phoenix's aunt and Dylan told me about their experiences going to the ball earlier this week. Aunt Justine had been to only one ball letting Dylan go the past two whenever Phoenix would ask. Much like the articles I had read over the past few months I, a civilian was expected to be professional and not make Phoenix look bad, as if I would on purpose.

The taxi driver dropped us off at the visitors center just before the base gate entrance kind enough to stay while we got our visitors passes for the day. Offering to drop us off to the base's military store called the Marine Main Exchange free of charge, we thanked him kindly giving him an extra twenty anyways.

With our luggage in hand we grabbed a shopping cart and walked around the store that was much like a Walmart but with more military items, Phoenix texted me saying that they were being released and were going back to the barracks to change over before coming to get us.