TWENTY - FOUR

< : > : Chapter Twenty - Four : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

Smiling around the food that I chewed I cover my mouth with my hand nodding to confirm what I couldn't yet say. "Mhm." Trying not to laugh at him remembering that conversation. "It's good. Very good."

"You don't have to lie to get into my panties you know." He winked at me jokingly making me cough a little as I laughed.

"I am serious." I patted my chest clearing my throat.

"Told you." Phoenix pointed his fork at me. "White people can season."

Putting down my drink I cut another piece of honey ham examining it at eye level. "I said rumor has it. I never said it was true."

"That you did and I won't deny that the rumors would be true if they were directed to me. I can't cook aside from eggs for breakfast, grilled cheese for lunch, and noodles for dinner." He chuckled biting into his own piece of ham.

"You must have terrible diet then."

Phoenix flashed me his toned body oh so casually without looking up. "I make it enough, don't worry." Going back to eating his food I tried not to choke on the little piece of ham that was stuck in my throat.

Fully unprepared to seeing his body like that I tried to act as casual as him. . . I've seen male bodies before . . . it just took me by surprise. He didn't have a single shirtless picture on his social media and he never sent me one either.

"You okay over there?"

"Yes." I cleared my throat. "Yes. I'm good."

Going back to small talk the question of how long he would be here stayed at the tip of my tongue. Afraid to ask incase the answer was tomorrow. Any answer would be a stab to the heart knowing that he had to leave at all. I wanted him to stay. I wanted us to be a couple that could hangout during the day or go to a game on the weekends. I didn't want him to leave but I had to remember that February would come soon enough.

"You're awfully quiet." Phoenix was now back on his side. Our dinner plates were empty and stacked back in the picnic basket. The dessert plates were placed between us but they were still covered leaving me to wonder what was underneath. Spinning the rose between his index finger and thumb he paused tracing the red petals against my crossed legs.

"I don't mean to be."

"But you have a question you're afraid to ask?" I nodded in response. "Don't be afraid  Harlow. You can ask me anything."

"When . . . when do you . . . go back?"

Pausing all movements his eyes lowered to the rose. "Four days but I leave in three since I have to travel all day Sunday. Check in is at zero seven hundred. Don't be sad." Feeling a softness under my chin I opened my eyes looking through my tears. Phoenix took my hands in his pulling me down to his chest. "I will come back to you Harlow, I promise. I get a few days of leave every month so eventually I can take a week off and fly you out to see me and the dirt base that I reside in."  Laughing at his description he held me tighter kissing my head. "Don't be sad. Before you know it I'll be back for good."

Tilting my head back Phoenix looked down at me with his gorgeous hazel eyes. "Phoenix . . . I just want you to know that I care about you.'

"As my girlfriend I would hope so." He placed a kiss on my nose. "And I care a lot about you too."