TWENTY - NINE

< : > : Chapter Twenty - Nine : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

Dinner had went smoothly enough and we all made it out alive. I tried my best to let Prichett try to speak to Timara with his eyes but she wouldn’t look his way keeping all of her conversation to the right and left of her.

Mr. Kendall sat at one with Gavin at the other. Harlow sat across from me, Prichett across from Timara and Dylan across from Aunt Justine. My aunt and Mr. Kendall talked about landscaping and how she wanted to do something different with the backyard but didn’t want something that wouldn’t be finished before winter came. Dylan and Gavin talked about some historical pieces that Dylan liked from a field trip he took two weeks ago. Harlow talked to Prichett trying to invite Timara in the conversation a few times only earning four or five words max and I kept my eyes on Harlow trying to decipher when I should tell her that I love her too.

Should I whisper it? Write it on a napkin and slide it to her? Should I just say it casually or yell it out so everyone at the table would know, not that I was ashamed.

Her eyes kept flickering to mine quickly looking away as if she broke up with me and was trying to make sure I didn’t cry. Eventually the chatter died down between the four of us, Harlow stood asking for everyone’s empty plate with the assistance of Timara making both of her dads thank them for helping out.

Dinner turned into dessert that Mr. Kendall had also made. They were homemade cannolis with different toppings that everyone enjoyed. Dessert with less conversation ended around ten when my aunt quietly said that they needed to go home.

I thanked Mr. Kendall and Gavin for cooking for me as well as allowing me to date their daughter. Saying goodbye to Timara leaving her with Prichett, I told my aunt I would meet her outside.

Taking Harlow’s wrist I took her with me outside to the end of the porch that was dark enough for privacy. “Are you going to keep avoiding me or are we going to talk about this like two adults?”

“I haven’t been avoiding you Phoenix. My attention was on my bestfriend and her problems.”

“Then why haven’t you said more than five words to me?”

“You want me to smile and be happily in love flaunting it in her face? In Corey’s face?”

Looking back to the car seeing my aunt and Dylan waiting and ready, I stepped closer to Harlow holding her in place as I nipped on her neck, up her jawline, and to her lips.

“Phoenix.”

“We will talk about this. Tonight.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll meet you at your place in an hour.” Pecking her lips I walked away hurrying to take my family home so I could get back to Harlow.

During the drive home my aunt smiled and grinned about how nice Harlow’s parents were. How delicious the food was, Dylan also agreed, and the sparks she could feel between Timara and Corey ever since he stepped into the kitchen.

Asking if I had everything packed for the morning as we pulled into the driveway I reminded her that I never really unpacked since I wasn’t staying long. Once in the house and Dylan went up to his room to play the game I asked if she and Dylan were making the trip to the airport. Shaking her head with tears in her eyes she held her arms out to me.