THIRTY - THREE

< : > : Chapter Thirty - Three : < : >
Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

3 Months Later

It was time!

The time had finally come for me to go back home.

Harlow and I had been excitingly talking about it everyday for the past two weeks. Everyday I would go to sleep happy that I talked to my girlfriend and woke up only five sometimes even four hours later to go to PT.

My love for the Marine Corps was dwindling until I woke up on February twenty-third with a new feeling of freedom. Corey last day was almost two weeks ago leaving me in our barracks to talk to myself when Harlow, Dylan, and Aunt Justine were busy. Lacing up my boots for the last time I grabbed my cover walking out the door with a smile on my face for the first time in months.

Within twenty-four hours of getting my papers I was standing in front of Dylan's middle school with Aunt Justine next to me waiting to be buzzed in. According to the principle it was almost lunch time meaning Dylan would be down the hall and around the corner in a little over ten minutes.

Talking with Principle Wellman and the other workers around his office about my time in the military I was asked the basic questions, not that I had a problem with answering.

Where were you stationed? How long have you been in? What made you want to get out? Have you heard about it on the news? Have you ever been deployed? What made you join?

A few people wanted to take pictures with me even though I didn't have on a single piece of military clothing. My guess was because my formal title was military affiliated but who knows.

"Thank you for the time that you served Sergeant Derman. We here as Lincoln Middle appreciate what you've done."

"It was my pleasure to serve and please, call me Nick."

Giving my hand a firm shake with a pat to the shoulder, the secretary, my aunt and I walked the short distance to the lunchroom. Keeping ourselves hidden from hungry students laughing with their friends during their beak from textbooks and white chalk, the secretary, Ms. Retta stood at the lunchroom double doors like a any other day making sure there was no trouble being started.

"I see him." She said without looking at us. "He's near the vending machine with three other students. He's wearing a white and grey shirt. Come see if you can spot him." She motioned me forward.

Peeking around the corner I scanned the room finding the vending machines first then Dylan and his friends second. Stepping back before he looked our way the plan was for me to just walk over to him until he spotted me. Now that I knew where I was going I entered the cafeteria not wanting to wait anymore.

Making my way through the long tables the chatter of middle schools never died down. Dylan continued to laugh at something the brown haired boy across from him said looking up as a girl with coffee colored skin stepped in my path with her tray in hand taking Dylan's attention from his friend. Thirty seconds into their talk his cream colored cheeks held a pink tint.

I wanted to slow down and not interrupt him and whoever the girl was but there was nowhere for me to go. Before I could take a step in a different direction trying not to intrude, Dylan's head shifted to the side widening at the sight of me.

"NICKY!" He jumped out of his chair running to me in full speed.

Catching Dylan in my arms my throat felt tight as if an unshelled walnut was stuck. "I'm back Dill Pickle."

"Forever?"

"Forever."

Letting go he wiped his eyes unafraid that he was crying with his friends watching. Smiling at me he looked over my shoulder waving to his mom before walking over to hug her. "Hi mom."

"Hi Sweetheart."

"When did you get here?" Dylan asked me.

"A few hours ago. I went to see your mom and then came here. I wanted to show myself and brighten your day like my handsome face does for all."

"You wish." He rolled his eyes. "Hey, you remember my friends? Tim, Blake, and Mich." I said hi to his friend and they all waved back. Memories of them coming by the house a few times and Dylan playing soccer with him came back to me.

Asking how they all were doing the girl from before stood off to the side looking around as if she was about to walk away when Dylan pulled gently at her sleeve. "Mom, I never introduced you two but Nick, mom, this is La'Rae. She's my uh," he rubbed the back of his neck looking to her with a smile. "history partner."

"Pleasure to meet you La'Rae."

"Nice to meet you La'Rae." My aunt smiled next to me.

"Nice to meet you both." The girl smiled back nervously. "I'll see you later Dyl." She walked away when his friends started to pull on his arm and rough his hair.

"See you later Dyl."

"Yeah Dyl." They repeated in their own terrible high pitched voice.

"Dyl, huh?" I smirked. "Kind of similar to Dill Pickle."

"Don't." He laughed. "Mom, she's not -"

"I didn't say anything. She's cute."

Fighting against myself trying not to laugh at my little cousin blushing he said he needed to finish lunch before the bell rang. Exiting the school I pulled off the visitors pass on my shirt tossing it in the outdoor trash.

"What are you about to do Aunt Justine? Do you want to get some lunch? My treat."

"I have to get back to work but I will hold you to treating me to lunch now that you're home for good."

"That I am."

"I know you're putting off going to see Harlow. So tell me why."

"I'm not putting it off. I just wanted to spend some time with the woman who raised me, that's all. I owe you a lot."

"You owe me nothing Nicky. Now go," She waved walking to her car. "and bring Harlow over for dinner sometime this week."

"Yes ma'am."

"Don't ma'am me young man. I'm still young!"

< : > : < : > : < : >

I had been peeking through the shelves with my hat low watching Harlow at work for the past seven minutes wondering how I would get her attention. I could get her cousin Brianna in on it and 'spill' something that needed cleaning. I could be a customer wanting help from her specifically. I could text her and say look up unless she didn't have her phone . . . I could wait until she went to lunch and sit next to her.

"SOMEBODY STOP HIM!" I heard someone yell.

Watching a man in a black hoodie run for the exit pushing past people I ran around in the direction of lips glosses and lip stick going down the aisle of face powder right before the exit.  Stepping out with a bent yet firm arm hitting the man in his throat his smaller frame flipped around my arm making him land on his face.

Crying out in pain that his nose was broken I put my knee between his shoulder blades keeping most of my weight on the opposite leg.

"Thank you so much for stopping him Sir."

"Yes, thank you Sir."

Lifting my head I looked up to my girl smirking at her shocked face sending a flirtatious wink. "It was my pleasure."

< : > : < : > : < : >

A/N: Decided not to get all emotional at the end for a nice little twist lol don't worry though there are two more cute epilogues :)