TWENTY - THREE

< : > : Chapter Twenty - Three : < : >

Harlow | Phoenix | Other people

She was in my arms

Harlow was finally in my arms and I couldn't find a single word to describe the happiness that my heart felt.

I was here. With her. Holding her and yet afraid to open my eyes to wake up and this all be a dream.

But this was indeed my reality.

I flew over three hours and drove over an hour just to be here in this moment. Every minute we spent on the phone throughout my deployment, every time we got off the phone saying 'sweet dreams', every night I went to sleep after the three days of us not talking, every time I smiled to myself dialing her number even when I knew she wasn't my aunt was all worth it.

"I can't believe you're here." She spoke into my collar as I opened my eyes noticing Timara wiping tears from her eyes trying to keep a steady hand as she recorded us.

Feeling small shakes from her body I rubbed her back soothingly. "Don't cry."

Dropping down from my waist she wiped her eyes laughing a little. "I don't mean to cry. I'm just . . . happy to see you."

Picking up my cover from the ground I put it back on pulling her into my chest. "I'm happy to see you too and like I said before, you look very beautiful."

Feeling her arms wrap around me squeezing just a little tighter than before I smiled in her dark hair inhaling her scent of peaches and vanilla. The two scents tangles in one reminded me of my aunt's peach cobbler and the dinner we were set to have while I'm home.

Pulling back I cupped her cheeks slightly distracted by her lightly glossed lip. Round. Light pink -

"Phoenix?"

Moving up to her brown eyes I smiled slightly embarrassed being caught staring. "Yes Harlow?"

"Can I kiss you now?"

Smiling at the perfect person in my arms I lowered my head until our lips met.

It was as if a tingling warmth of pleasure spread from the back of my neck down my spine to my toes. Falling further into the darkness behind my eyelids I pulled her body closer to me needing to feel all of her before the moment ended.

Earning a moan as the kissed intensified I felt my lower half begin to make its presence known but I didn't care. It had been over a year since I had been with someone and Harlow was making my body come to life like a burning fire more than any woman I've been with.

"Mhm." A voice cleared behind us.

Breaking apart Harlow laid her head on my chest quietly laughing. Keeping my arms around her I looked to my aunt who covered Dylan's eyes.

"Mom." He complained trying to remove her hold on him. "I've seen people kiss before."

"I'd rather you not see Nicky kiss like that."

"You guys are so cute!" Timara yelled putting her phone away before wrapping her arms around us. "I'm so happy for you Harlow!" Pulling away she held her hand out to me. "Nice to finally meet you Nick."

"You too Timara." I replied shaking her hand. "And also thank you for helping me surprise her."

Harlow pinched her best friend's arm. "You knew this whole time and didn't tell me?"