0.0*Rewritten*

Just a Machine

//Prologue//

8/17/2038

Detroit had odd weather, that was for sure. It was cold one day, then boiling hot the next very day afterward. Rain might come one day, then none the next, and the same was true with snow. Beth loved that about Detroit, as it was all she knew. She had lived in Detroit her whole life, not bothering to venture to other places.

Although as much as she loved Detroit's weather, she really, really should've brought an umbrella. The weather forecast had said that it would rain, but Beth had the weather not be what she was told too many times, that at this point she took what they said with a grain of salt.

Even if she was sceptical about it, bringing an umbrella would've been a really good good idea. She was soaked to the bone, raindrops dripping down her freckled face. Her dad wouldn't be happy about her walking out in the rain, as she could've took a taxi, or just brought an umbrella.

"Shit.. dad's gonna kill me..."She muttered quietly, as she spotted her father's house. Although she had her own place, Beth felt the need to check on her dad, in order to ensure he was okay. Beth unlocked the door with her key, walking in quickly to get out of the rain.

A bundle of fur barreled into her, Beth crying out as the Saint Bernard plopped himself onto her stomach, after knocking her onto the floor. Sumo licked her face, and simply wagged his tail in response to being told to 'Get off!'."C'mon, Sumo! You just saw me yesterday..! Get off!"

Sumo finally complied, choosing to lie down in front of the couch and curl up. Beth sighed, looking down at the passed out form of her father, before her eyes fell to the bottle on the ground. She quickly walked over, making sure that her father had a pulse.

Although she should've known he had a pulse, judging by the fact that Sumo wasn't acting abnormally. Which was a sad reality: that Sumo had gotten so used to Hank's tendencies, that the dog just acted like it was completely normal.

She took her attention away from Hank for a moment, to look at the bottle. Beth picked the bottle up, disappointment clear in her eyes."Damn it, Dad..." Beth suddenly felt the urge to cry, barely managing to contain her tears as her phone buzzed."Why, Daddy..?" Beth whispered, knowing he couldn't hear her.

Beth finally checked her phone, giving a slight smile as she realized who it was. It was her best friend from high school, Allison.'Hey, Bethy.. how's it going?'Beth sighed at the nickname.

'Dad's passed out again...'

'Drinking..?'Allison knew about Hank's late night drinking habits. Beth took a glance at her father, before texting back,'Yeah...'

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

8/18/2038

Beth leaned her head against her free hand, scribbling down notes on the notepad she used for work. Her eyes went from the terminal, to the notepad, for a few minutes, until she suddenly sneezed."Damn..."She muttered quietly, wiping her nose with a tissue from her purse.

She managed to get back to her notes, now sneezing occasionally. Her occasional sneeze hardly interrupted her focus, but a sudden presence did. Beth glanced up through her lashes, spotting a man-- no an android, standing by her desk.

He-- no it was looking down at her, its LED whirring yellow."Detective Anderson?" It inquired, the LED going back to a calm blue. Beth felt a hint of annoyance, but turned her chair to face it."That's me."

She inspected its features, noticing that it was rather tall. Its voice was almost impressively human like.. but it was just a machine, nothing more. She did subconsciously think about handsome the android was, but at the front of her mind she simply thought of him-- no it as a machine.