0.7

Chapter Seven; Best Burgers in Detroit:

Beth watched as her father nearly got hit by car, because of his own stupidity. She snorted in amusement when he yelled at them, not failing to notice that Connor watching her.

"C'mon."Beth got out of car hugging her arms around herself, in an attempt to keep herself warm. She followed her father, giving a quick glance over her shoulder towards Connor.

The Android was getting out of the car too, trailing behind her like a lost puppy. When they got up there, her father was ordering was talking to someone.

She watched as her father handed the guy some cash, making her roll her eyes as the guy glanced at her."Nope." She simply said, not willing to get involved with anything illegal.

"Don't you ever do as your told..?Look you don't have to follow us around like a poodle."

"I want to apologise for my behavior back at the station."Connor sounded sincere as he said this, as he spoke to Hank.

"Oh, wow! You've even got a brown nosing apology program. Guess Cyberlife thought of everything, huh Beth..?"

His daughter nodded, smiling at Connor, who returned it without​ hesitation."Thanks, Gary."Hank grabbed his food, before handing Beth hers.

"Thanks."

"Hey! Don't leave that thing here!"Beth winced as Gary called Connor a thing, with an unknown feeling in her stomach.

"Not a chance! Follows us everywhere!"

Beth smiled lightly, before going towards the table. She was starving, and she really hoped that whatever mystery sickness she had contracted, wasn't a stomach bug.

"This Pedro, he was proposing illegal gambling. Am I right..?"Connor asked Hank."Yeah."

Her father answered honestly.

"And you made a bet..?"

"Yeah."Beth sighed, as her father didn't even attempt to deny the fact that he basically encouraged illegal gambling.

Connor seemed slightly bewildered at that, his eyes looking away from Hank. The blond stared at him for a second, before he met her eyes.

She smiled at him, causing him to smile back. Her father, clearly not liking the interaction, gave his daughter a warning look, causing her to look away in embarrassment.

"Do you eat here often?"

"Most days. Gary makes the best burger in Detroit."Beth nodded as she took a bite of her burger, grateful that her stomach didn't cause her to get sick.

"This morning, when we were chasing those Deviants... Why didn't ya'll want me to cross the highway?" Even though he was asking both of them, it was Hank who answered.

" 'Cause you could've been killed... And I don't like filling out paperwork for damaged equipment."

Beth said nothing simply glancing at her father and Connor, before looking back down."What about you, Beth..?"

Hank glared at Connor as the Android tried to talk to her, his instincts to protect his daughter kicking in."U-Uh...Same as what Daddy said... You could've been killed..."

Connor seemed to get the memo as Hank glared at him warningly. She said nothing after that, as she knew she would probably stutter again."Maybe I should tell you what we know about Deviants?"

Her cheeks were flushed, and not just because of the fever. Not only was she embarrassed, she also felt this strange feeling around Connor."You read my mind... Proceed."

"We believe that a mutation occurs in the software of some Androids, which can lead to them emulating a human emotion--"Beth felt a little sad at that, closing her eyes.

"--In English, please."

"They don't really feel emotions, they just get overwhelmed by irrational instructions, which can lead to unpredictable behavior."

"Emotions always screw everything up... Maybe Androids aren't as different from us as we thought." Connor nodded looking at Beth and noticing her worsening state.

He said nothing though.

"Is there anything you'd like to know about me?"

"Hell no..! Well, yeah, umm... Why did they make you look so goofy and give you that weird voice?" A small giggle erupted from Beth before she could stop it, making Connor glance at her.

"Cyberlife Androids are designed to work harmoniously with humans. Both my appearance and voice were specifically designed to facilitate my integration."

"Well they f*cked up."

Beth giggled again, this time on purpose. She felt a little light headed, her vision was a little blurry, and her head was pounding again. Her father looked at her concerned when he saw her eyes go a little unfocused.

In a attempt to keep the rest of her dignity, she waved him off. Her head felt like it was spinning in circles, her eyes watering."You've ever dealt with Deviants before?"

"A few months back... A Deviant was threatening to jump off the roof with a little girl... I managed to save her."

"So, I guess you've done all your homework, right? Know everything there is to know about me?"

Connor hesitated for a second.

"I know you graduated top of your class. You made a name for yourself in several cases, and became the youngest  Lt in Detroit."

Her father nodded at what Connor was saying."I also know you've received several disciplinary warnings in recent years and you spend a lot of time in bars."Hank nodded again before speaking.

"So, what's​ your conclusion..?"

Connor thought for a moment,"I think working with an officer who has personal issues, is an added challenge."

This made Beth smile, but what he did next nearly made her heart explode."But adapting to human unpredictability is one of my features."

As he said this he winked, making Beth's knees feel a little weak. Though it could just be that she was feeling dizzy.

Connor's LED flickered yellow before going back to blue. His brown eyes met hers, before looking back at Hank.

"I just got a report of a suspected Deviant. It's a few blocks away, we should go have a look." Connor said.

"I'll let you finish your meal. I'll be in the car if you need me."

"You're going back home."Hank said leaving no room for arguing. Beth quickly objected,"Dad! The Deviant might be gone by the time you get back. I'll stay out of it, alright..?"

Hank shook his head, knowing it was pointless to argue, and also knowing that she had a good point. The Deviant might not still be there, if they went and dropped her off, then came back.

"Fine, but you stay out of it."

"Okay."

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Sorry it took so long. I've been working on another fanfic, that might be posted in a few days. Maybe more, I don't know.

Sorry if it sucked.