Chapter 19

I woke up and I heard the sound of arguing outside my door. As I woke up more, I realized the voices belonged to Kriss and Maxon.
"We need to figure something out," Kriss says.
"I know I'll take care of it," Maxon said seeming exhausted.
"I want a divorce now," Kriss said.
I heard Maxon sigh and say, "I know I want one two, but it's going to take time. We have to tell the public and hope they react well to the news." Maxon said. "We will announce it on this weeks report."
"Okay, I'm sorry. We just weren't meant to be and I hope we can stay friends," Kriss says.
"I hope so to, and I completely agree, we just don't have that spark." Maxon said.
"Well I guess we are going to have two divorces going on a once," Maxon said.
"Yeah, not the best timing," Kriss laughed.
"Oh Mr.Ryland thank you for coming," Maxon said suddenly. Who is Mr.Ryland?
"Where is America, your majesty," a voice who I'm assuming is Mr. Ryland asks.
"Right this way," Maxon said opening the door. A middle aged man with brown hair and blue eyes walks into the room and Maxon follows him.
"It's a pleasure to meet you," Mr.Ryland said as he extended his hand out to me, I shook it firmly as if to tell him 'I mean business'.
"Thank you for coming," I said.
"King Maxon has told me your current situation, but I still have a few questions for you. Please don't ask about my baby, please, please, please.
"How much money do you want out of this divorce?" He asked.
"Umm," I said, I hadn't really thought about this. "Probably just enough for me to get up on my feet and on with my life," I said. Mr.Ryland opened a notebook and quickly scribbled that down.
"What possessions do you want?" He asked.
"Nothing really, I just want out of the marriage."
Mr.Ryland gave me a strange look before looking down and scribbling more notes down on his notebook.
"Is there anything else you want out of this divorce?" He asked.
"I want justice for all the pain he has caused me," I said. He scribbled that last piece of information down and stood up.
"I'm going to study this before mediation, I think you have very good odds." He said as he stood up and walked out.
"That went well," Maxon said and I nodded.
"So you and Kriss are getting a divorce?" I stated more than asked.
"So you heard all that," he said motioning to the door.
"You were a little loud," I said.
"Yes, we are and I'm weirdly happy about it, is that awful?" He asked.
I shook my head, "no I'm happy about mine."
"That's different though," he said.
I moved over to the chair next to him and propped my foot up. "How so?"
"You were being abused and we just aren't in love anymore."
"That's okay, there is no reason to feel bad." I said trying to comfort him.
He let out a small laugh, "you've been abused for years and have a broken foot, still you try and comfort me." I smiled, I just feel so helpless I was hoping I could help someone else.
"What time is mediation?"
He looked down at his watch and then looked back up at me, "You have about two hours."
"Okay could you send Mary in to help me get ready?" I asked.
"Of course," he said and started to make his way to the door. "We need to talk about some serious things very soon," Maxon said before he shut the door. What is that supposed to mean? What does he want from me? I immediately started feeling nervous, what if he hurt me? No America stop, this is Maxon not Tyler. Still the fear consumed me.
A few minutes past and I hear a faint knock before Mary came in carrying a blue floral dress, I small make up bag and a few things to do my hair with.
"Will you turn with your back towards me miss?" Mary asked and I obeyed. "And move your hair to the front." I moved my hairs to the front of my body as she gently unbuttoned the back of the hospital gown.
"Can you stand?" She asked.
I nodded and placed one of my hands on the top of a chair for balance and she placed the dress over my head. With a little bit of work I got the dress all the way on and Mary zipped it up. She then had me sit in the chair and started on my hair. She pulled it back into a tight bun and then moved to my make up. She gently hummed as she brushed on a light foundation. She then put on a light blush and her pleasant hum continued.
"Close your eyes miss," she put on eyeshadow and a thin line of eyeliner.
"Open them please." I did as I was told and she put my mascara on. It felt good to get ready, it made me start to believe that I would find a new kind of normal.
"I think I'm done," she said.
I looked in the mirror and had to hold back my tears, for the first time in years I looked like me. It's incredible how one person can change another person entirely.
"Thank you," I said.
"Of course, would you like me to wheel you down to the prep room for the mediation?" Mary asked.
"Yes please, that will be much better than me trying to wheel myself down there. Mary nodded and grabbed my wheelchair out of the corner of the room and she helped me into it. As we started down the hall, I tried to organize my thoughts, but all I could think about was what Maxon said, 'we need to talk.'