Chapter 47

I walked into the set of the report, the bright lights blinded me. My maids put my hair into a beautiful curled up do and my make up was light, but beautiful.
I saw Maxon across the room talking to an advisor, whatever they were talking about it seemed intense.
As I moved closer I could here what they were saying.
"One problem at a time please," Maxon says.
"Sir with all do respect, we need to make a decision about Mrs.Dobbs."
Me? Was my first thought, then I remembered Tyler's mom.
"I'm not going to lock her up, but she will need a punishment." Maxon continues, he runs a hand through his hair and I can tell he is stressed.
"I'm not suggesting we lock her up, but there must be a punishment declared on the report tonight," the advisor pushed.
"Tonight we will announce that there will be a punishment that will be determined by the end of the week," Maxon says.
"But sir," the advisor starts, but Maxon cuts him off.
"I've made my decision," he says and he turns around and sees me for the first time and I swear I saw him mouth wow.
He started moving towards me and he was smiling so wide.
"You look incredible," he says.
"Thank you, you clean up pretty nice yourself."
"Are you ready for this?" He asks.
"I hope so," I say a wave of nerves suddenly hitting me.
"It'll be okay, Gravril will introduce me and I'll introduce you then we will address the problem and show the evidence that Tyler abused you. After that we will read the law of the selection and tell everyone that we are courting."
"Okay," I say.
"You okay?" He asks me, and I can see the concern in his eyes.
"Yeah, just really nervous."
He pulls me into a hug and whispers in my ear,"it will be okay."
"I know," I say into his chest.
"We go live in two minutes," a producer yells to no one in particular.
"I think that's your cue," I say pulling back from Maxon.
"I believe so, all the problems end tonight."
"I hope so," I say and he hurries over to his spot and I stand in mine. I knew all the problems didn't completely end tonight, we would get rid of Tyler and his Mom for know, but if we get married I know they will be back. I still lost my baby, and that will never be fixed no matter how hard I try. I held back the tears knowing we would be starting soon and put a smile on my face.
"We are live in three two one," a producer says and the anthem plays.
"Good evening," Gavril started the report.
My heart was beating so fast, I felt like I couldn't breath. "I would like to introduce King Maxon."
Maxon appears on the screen smiling and walking over to Gavril.
"Good evening everyone, due to rumors flying around about Miss.Singer and myself we would both like to address those tonight. Lady America, could you please join me?"
I take a deep breath and walk out onto the stage. I smile at the camera and try not to show my nerves to the crowd.
"Shall we sit," Maxon says and we sit on the three chairs behind us.
"Tell the country what really happened," Gavril says.
"America and I, have not seen each other since the selection; until Tyler came to the palace for work."
"Mrs.Dobbs and I never completely saw eye to eye even when Tyler and I were married, so she has made up an elaborate story." I say.
"Is any of what she said have truth to it?"
"Not really, but according to the law America and I are starting to date. The law says that in the case I get a divorce, the runner up and myself need to try and date for the same time as the selection lasted. We will be dating for four months, and if it works out we will get engaged, if not I will have to hold another selection." Maxon says.
"Well I'm happy for the both of you," Gavril says.
"Thank you," Maxon and I both say.
"Now I do have a question regarding Tyler abusing Lady America, did it happen?"
"Yes, it did. We had an extremely toxic relationship since we got married and he was abusive verbally and sometimes physically." I say.
"We do have proof of this abuse as well," Maxon says.
"Shall we roll the clip?" Gavril asks.
Maxon looks at me for confirmation and I nod my head.
"Yes," Maxon answers.
The clip starts rolling of me telling Tyler I'm pregnant and him telling me to get an abortion. I tuned it out, I didn't want to cry on national tv. The clip seemed to go on for ages and it was all agony, but it needed to be shown. The clip ends as Maxon and Aspen rush into the room.
Maxon looks over at me and I think he can tell I'm struggling, he squeezes my leg and gives me a small smile.
Gavril looks speechless, I assumed everyone in their homes were speechless too.
"I'm so sorry," Gavril finally says.
"It's okay, it's hard to watch back, but it needed to be seen."
"Well I want to keep up with both of you in these four months, but for now, good night."
The cameras turn off and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I can tell I look upset, but I don't know how to fix it. Aspen and I make eye contact and he briskly walks over to me.
"Are you okay Mer?" He asks. Him and Maxon both look at me with concern.
"I don't know," I weakly choke out.
"Let's go talk," Aspen says pulling me up.
"You too, Maxon." Aspen adds and we all move into a separate room.