Chapter 20

I sat behind a table in my wheelchair next to Mr.Ryland ready for this to start and praying I would be divorced soon. I knew the divorce would take a while, but Maxon has told me he was going to make it as fast as he could. I had called my family last night and explained everything, fortunately they were very understanding. A few minutes later Tyler walked in with a guard next to him with his lawyer standing by his side. The mediator came in last and we all stood out of respect, until he motioned for us to sit down.
"I hope to keep this as simple and painless as possible," the mediator said and all I could think was 'yes please'. "In order to do that I must ask everyone to remain civil and have respect for one another." I don't have any respect for Tyler,but I guess I could fake it for a couple of hours.
"Mrs. Dobbs could you please explain a little about your relationship with Mr. Dobbs for us?" The mediator asked me.
"Of course," I said standing up to make myself look more powerful. "Mr.Dobbs had abused me physically, mentally, and emotionally over the course of our marriage. Most recently he hit me so hard that I fell to the ground, broke my foot, and killed my baby." Those last few words I said quieter than the rest of my sentence.
"Oh my word," I heard Tyler huff under his breath.
"Do you have something to say Mr.Dobbs?" The mediator asked.
"Yes I do, for one you are so over dramatic America. That baby died because you didn't take good enough care of it, I didn't do anything. Also, I think abuse is to strong of a word to use in this situation." Tyler said. I was infuriated that he was trying to blame the death of my baby on me. I gave that baby all I had because it was the only thing that gave me hope.
"Mr.Dobbs if you could stop lying that would be greatly appreciated,"I said.
"I'm not lying! That's how I truly see the situation."
"Whatever you think," I said and with that both of our lawyers pulled us back down to our seats and started talking intently with us.
"Stop the arguing and get to the point. The more you can set your differences aside the faster this will be over," Mr.Ryland said. 
"I know he just infuriates me," I said.
"I'm well aware, but you need to get to the point or this divorce will never end. I'm your lawyer and Maxon's for both of your divorces and I want you two to keep this as easy as possible."
"Okay," I said.
"Good now if he keeps arguing don't fire back," he said. I nodded my head and took a few breaths, I needed to be in control of my emotions.
I stood up after Tyler has finished with his lawyer, I was ready to start settling this.
"I want 2,000 dollars so that I can get back up on my feet after the divorce," I said.
"That will not be happening, you don't even work. I earned all of that money I should keep it." Tyler quickly protested.
"If I may," Mr.Ryland said standing up. "By law Mrs.Dobbs has to get some of the money."
"I'm Rose Wick," Tyler's lawyer said as she stood up. It made since that she is his lawyer her dress is way to short and low in the front for my liking. "The minimum he has to give her is $1,000 dollars and since she hasn't worked that is all he should get."
"If I may cut in, Tyler wouldn't allow me to work." I said which was true every time I brought it up he said a job would make me to busy and I wouldn't be there when he wanted me.
"Stop making more excuse for your laziness," Tyler said shaking his head.
"You told me that I couldn't work because I would be to busy to please you," I said.
"Is that true, Mr.Dobbs?" The mediator asked.
"Of course not, now I didn't want to bring this to light in a public setting,but I'm afraid to has come to this." Tyler said. What in the world is he talking about?
"America has schizophrenia, she has imagined all these things and thinks they are real," Tyler said acting like this has taken a hard toll on his life.
" I must have memory loss to because I don't remember the doctor diagnosing me with schizophrenia," I said, I can't believe he would go this far.
"I'm sorry that you don't remember," Tyler said trying to sound like he actually had pity.
"Where are the doctors report saying I have schizophrenia?" I asked.
"Well back in Carolina of course," he said.
"Liar! But since you are so confident I will go get it tested tomorrow." I said.
"You can't do that," he said.
"Oh and why not? Because it's not true," I said.
"No, well um" I saw in his eyes he was searching for a valid excuse.
"That's what I thought, I will get tested and we will set up another mediation date soon. If you can not agree to anything I will be taking you to court where I will have lots of witnesses." I said. 
"Fine by me," Tyler said and the guard escorted him away.
"Thank you," I said.
"Anytime, now I need to put all my notes in order for next time and put my notes together for Maxon's mediation on Saturday after it is announced on the report." He said.
"Okay," I said and shook his hand and wheeled myself out the door. I was released from the hospital and was told to get lots of rest, so I headed back up to my room. When I get there a note is on the bed, and it said 'we need to talk,but after divorces are more final' signed Maxon. What did he want from me?