Chapter 44

The phone rings a few times before Maxon answers, "hi America, " he says.
"hi, so you have a second to talk?"
"yeah, what going on?" he asked seeming concerned.
"Your majesty, we need to start the meeting." I hear a voice in the background say.
"Look it sounds like your busy, it doesn't really matter anyway," I say and I can feel the hot tears coming.
"No no no no no, America this is way more important then some meeting. I'll just push my schedule back for however long you need to talk." He says to me then I hear him tell whoever was with him that. "One second America let me slip into a more private room," he tells me.
"Okay," I say.
I wait a few minutes and listen to the quiet sounds of footsteps.
"What is going on?" He asks.
"I have to quit," I say quietly.
"What?Why?" He asked in a way that seemed like I was his only hope.
"Tyler's mom stopped by today and insist that the real reason we got a divorce was because I was cheating on him with you," I say and by the end I'm in tears, but Itru my best to hide them in my voice.
"What? Why in the world would she think that?"
I'm so glad he didn't hear the tears, I didn't want to make this any worse.
"It really does seem that way," I say.
"How?"
"We got divorces at the same time and they were both while we were at the palace."
"That has nothing to do with it," he says. I can tell by the tone of his voice, he is frustrated. I imagine him pacing around a room and running his hand through his hair.
"It doesn't have anything to do with it, but she is going to the press with it."
I heard Maxon let out a defeated sigh and I anxiously wait for him to respond.
"I'm going to fix this," Maxon suddenly announces.
"Maxon, You can't it is best if I just quit."
"America I'm going to find something, please just enjoy your time with your family and I will figure this out."
"Why are you making this so hard," I ask as silent tears stream down my face.
"America, I want you to work here and I want to get to know you better."
"Maxon you just don't get it," I say. "We can never be together, especially not after she goes out to the press."
"What happened to you?" He asked and I am taken back by that question, he already knows why is he even asking.
"You already know," I say.
"That's not what I'm talking about America, you've changed completely."
"It's called growing up Maxon," I say.
"America, I love you, but you need to find out what's important again or your life is going to be really hard. I'm going to look at a few things and fix this problem all call you later."
And with that he hung up the phone, the tears were coming. The part that bugged me the most was he was right. I hated being away from him and I missed him, but at the same time I had to get as far away as possible in order to protect both of us. I went to bed early and fell into a restless sleep.
"America," I hear May yelling and that wakes me up the next morning.
"What," I say, barely awake.
"Come downstairs," she says as she runs into my room.
"What is it?" I say.
"It's all over the news," she says, she isn't excited, but anxious.
Then I remember yesterday with Mrs.Dobbs and I'm quick to me feet and I run downstairs.
On the Tv there is a picture of Tyler and a news caster on the screen.
"The release of Tyler Dobbs is in questioning after an interview with his mother last night."
No, no please no.
The clip cuts to an interview with Mrs.Dobbs, I can't believe this.
"Mrs.Dobbs, why should your son not be in prison."
"I believe the whole story about my son abusing America Singer during their marriage is false," she states.
"Why do you say that?"
"The King and Queen got a divorce the same time as my son and Miss. Singer did, and I believe that was not a coincidence. They were all at the palace when the divorces took place and I believe King Maxon and America were were in a relationship with each other while they were at the palace. That is the real reason they got a divorce because there was cheating going on not abuse."
The interviewer seemed stunned before she said, "that is a bold statement to accuse our King of this."
"I have nothing but respect for the King, he simply made a mistake. America on the other hand, I cannot say the same."
I couldn't watch this anymore, I ran upstairs to my room and cried.
"America," May said as she gently knocked on the door. "I'm sorry, I just thought you should know."
"It's okay May, just please leave me alone." I say. I hear her let out a sigh of defeat and walk away from the door. I'm crying and I can't stop. Why can't one simple thing work out for me? I was hoping Maxon had heard about this and would call, he didn't. I cried and cried until I don't think I could cry anymore. Suddenly my phone started ringing, but I didn't much feel like talking to anyone. I let it ring, but I felt like I should at least check the caller ID. It was Maxon, I felt giddy. I didn't know if I wanted to talk to him or not, but I decided I should at least give him a chance.
"Hello," I say finally answering the phone.
"America I found a solution, but I don't know if you'll like it."