Chapter 22

I heard a firm knock on my door around twenty minutes after the report ended. Maxon walked in shortly after the knock and I was so ready to tear him apart. I haven't been this mad at him since I saw him kissing Celeste in the hallway.
"You dirty little phony!" I screamed at him.
"America calm down," he said.
"Don't tell me to calm down," I yelled at him.
"I understand that you're upset," he said still calmed.
"That's a bit of an understatement," I said. "You lied to me."
He looked taken back by that and I think it took him a second to process that.
"When did I lie to you?" He asked honestly looking confused.
"Since the moment I met you!"
"That's not true," Maxon said trying to stay calm.
"It most certainly is! You pretend to be this Prince Charming, but it's all an act!"
"I'm not perfect, but it wasn't an act." He said still calm, which made me even more mad.
"You took my personal life and made it part of your little show." I said.
"I'm sorry, I just wanted the country to know the truth." He said.
"That is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard!" I said.
"Well what do you want America!" He finally had a little bit of anger in his voice.
"I want to leave," I said simply.
"Oh your not leaving," he contradicted me quickly.
"Huh, your starting to sound like Tyler," I said and I could tell he was taken back by that.
"I'm nothing like him," he said with passion,but no anger.
"Oh but you are, you both broke my heart, you both want me to stay somewhere I don't want to be, and you both put on an act in front of everyone else." I said still yelling, but now I was in tears.
"America please don't cry," he said and put a hand on my shoulder which made me even more mad.
"Don't. Touch. Me." I said and he immediately moved his hand.
"I'm not him," he said.
"It's enough to lie to me don't lie to yourself," I said still crying.
"How can I change your mind?" He asked. I looked up at him because his voice really did seem sincere.
"I don't know," I said. "Reverse time maybe."
"I can't do that, anything else?" He said.
"Stop being like my ex-husband," I said.
"America I'm really not like him, I care about you."
"Do you?" I countered quickly.
"Of course I do and I'll prove it to you," he said seeming confident.
"I would like to see you try, liar." I spat at him.
"America, don't question my character." He seemed angry again.
"Than fix your character." I moved over and sat on my bed and ran my hands through my hair. I wanted to leave so bad, but I also needed to get divorced.
"Then stay here and give me a chance to do that."
"Oh so now your flipping it all around so the problem is on me again, I see how it is."
"No that wasn't what I was saying at all-" he started, but I cut him off.
"Really than maybe you should learn to communicate." I said.
"All I'm saying is, I want to prove to you that I'm not who you think I am. And I need time to do that, does that ring a bell to you America needing time. You asked me for a lot of that during the selection and now you won't even give me the time of day."
"That was years ago," I screamed.
"Does that matter?" He said back.
"Of course it does," I said searching for a valid reason for that to matter.
"How So?" He asked as he folded his arms.
I couldn't think of anything so I just decided to say the first thing that came to my head, "Why should I tell you?"
"Because I want a valid reason," he yelled a little.
"Don't hurt me," I said. At first I wanted to provoke him,but now that I have I'm scared.
"I won't hurt you," he said.
"But you already have," I said.
"I'm sorry," he said.
"Then let me leave," I said.
"I can't do that," he said.
"Why not!" I screamed.
"Because um because," he said, but he seemed to be having a hard time with his words. I'd never seen him tongue tied, it was actually kind of cute, but I still hated him.
"Because why?" I asked folding my arms.
He put both of his hands on his neck and moved towards the open door.
"Because um," he said. I can't believe he was struggling this much with it.
"What do you not know how to tell the truth," I said.
He just shook his head and started to run his hands through his hair.
"Because I um," he said again.
"Why can't I leave? I want a valid reason." I said and crossed my arms.
"I know, it's because I um," he said again. Why couldn't he just spit it out!
"If you can't tell me why I do not see why I can't leave," I said trying to pry the answer out of him.
"Okay, I don't know how you will take this," he started.
"Probably better than I have taken all of your awkward stuttering," I said as if it was a sure fact.
He let out a half laugh and shook his head. "I'm sorry about that," he said.
"Now just tell me why can't I leave," I said approaching him until I was a few feet away from him.
"You can't leave because I love you," he said and I was shocked and angry.
"LIAR!" I screamed and pushed him out the door and slammed it in his face. Then I sunk down to the floor and started to cry.