Chapter 52

Maxon knocked on my door shortly after Mary left. I open it and he looks me up and down and I swear he mouths the word wow.
"You look beautiful," he says.
"Thank you, you clean up pretty well yourself," I say.
He offers me his arm, it's so cute how awestruck he still is. We walk out of my room and down the hallway.
"What are we doing," I say.
"It's a surprise," he says with a mischievous grin on his face.
"Well I hope it has to do with food because I'm starving," I say.
"Oh believe me, I know better than to let you go hungry."
"Good because when I'm hungry I get moody," I say.
"I know, when the selection was still going on and I talked to your Father he warned me about that," Maxon says.
"Wow, I'm glad my Dad was talking me up to be wife material," I joke and Maxon let's out a light laugh.
"Well it didn't make me run in the other direction, though I did briefly think about it."
I swatted him with my mouth hanging wide open and he just laughs at my expression.
"Is this how you got all the girls in the selection?" I ask.
"Nah, just half of them." He smiles and winks at me.
"Ohh my Prince Charming," I say.
"Oh I intend to be," he says and leans down to kiss my cheek.
"Wow you are a pitiful romantic," I say."Not that I mind." I quickly add.
"Well I hope you don't," he gives me a wink. "Okay I'm going to need to blind fold you." He says.
"Why?" I ask skeptically.
"Because it's a surprise, may I?"
I shake my head and nod, I'll just think of this as a trust exercise.
Maxon quickly ties a blind fold around my eyes and starts guiding me to our destination.
"I really do hate surprises," I say.
"To bad, darling."
I shake my head, sometimes he can be such a child.
I hear a ding and he leads forward than stops me and we start to move.
"Are we in an elevator?" I ask.
"Yes, I had them put in after Kriss broke her leg a few years after we got married."
I hear a second ding and he leads me out of the elevator. We walk for a little ways than stop, "Are we here than?" I ask, the curiosity is killing me.
"One moment," Maxon says.
I hear a door open and Maxon leads me through it, a cool Angeles breeze hits my face.
"Are we on the roof?" I ask.
"Maybe," Maxon says. He leads me over to a blanket and gently helps me sit down.
"Can I take this stupid thing off now?" I complain.
"Yes," Maxon says and I hear him chuckle to himself as he gently takes off my blindfold.
I look around and I'm very impressed, Maxon has set up a candle lit picnic and their is a small stereo in the corner.
"I love it," I say as I continue to take it all in.
"See I told you, you would like this surprise," Maxon says slightly smug.
"Well you were right," I say and smile at him.
"Shall we eat?" He asks.
"Yes please, I'm starving."
Maxon pulls over the basket and pulls out several strawberry tarts, finger sandwiches, and wine glasses that he fills with champagne. 
"Thank you," I say.
"Well we needed this," he says.
"Yes we did," I say.
"Oh I almost forgot," he says and pulls out plates.
We both fill out plates with sandwiches and tarts.
"I think this is the best meal I've had since being back at the palace," I say.
"Because of the strawberry tarts? We've had them at meals before." Maxon points out.
"Yeah, but um Tyler only let me have one so I didn't get fat."
"Oh I'm sorry that was insensitive," Maxon says and I can see he is silently shaming himself.
"No it's not your fault, you didn't know." I silently touch his knee trying to comfort him.
"I just feel like I should have known," he says.
"Well I never really wanted people to know," I say. "Don't feel bad, I don't want my pathetic ex-husband to ruin tonight."
I know it sounds silly, but it felt so good to call him pathetic, maybe it was just me showing myself that I was over him.
"Stupid Tyler," Maxon says and I smile knowing that he is on my side. We laugh and talk throughout the rest of the meal. After we have finished Maxon stands up and turns on the stereo and quiet piano music plays.
"Do you want to dance?" He asks me.
"Yes, but as you know I'm terrible."
I take his hand and he helps me stand up. I wrap my arms around his neck and he wraps his around my waist. We silently sway back and forth to the soft music.
"Just like old times right?" He says.
"Yeah, minus the rain."
Now in a happily ever after story it would have started raining, but I don't want this to be happily ever after I want it to be so much more than that.
Sorry I've been terrible at updating, I'll try to get back to my once a week.