Chapter 1 - Part 1

"After what you've been through with your parents and grandmother, you shouldn't have to be here," William Hayes said through his oxygen mask, his voice weak, soft, and wispy.

Along with a private doctor and two nurses, Kate sat in Mr. Hayes's bedroom, watching over him.

The king-size bed that used to be in the room had been replaced by a hospital bed. Different types of medical equipment, measuring every aspect of his status, stood all around them.

Holding his hand, she said softly, "Are you sure you don't want me to call Tyler?"

William Hayes's lids slowly drooped over his eyes. A teardrop slipped down from the corner of his eye and onto the white pillow case. "It was my fault. I abandoned him."

Kate pulled a piece of Kleenex and dabbed at his tear. "It isn't important now. Don't worry about it. Someday, someday he'll understand."

A series of coughs reverberated through William Hayes's fragile frame, and his wrinkled hand flew to his chest, clutching it. Kate quickly moved aside as the doctor and nurses rushed forward to attend to him. When his coughing fit ceased, his trembling hand reached between them.

Everyone immediately stepped aside for Kate.

She cupped her hands over his. "I'm here."

He pulled down his oxygen mask as she leaned in. "Help me to ... to help him." His weak voice was barely audible, but Kate knew who he was referring to.

The one regret that he couldn't mend in time.

She didn't know how she could help him, but she nodded anyway.

Mr. Hayes was a good man; he deserved to go in peace.

She smiled at the frail old man lying in bed and moved forward, intending to put the oxygen mask back in place.

"Kate, promise that you'll help him," Mr. Hayes said, clasping her hand.

Her brows furrowed slightly, but she retained her smile.

Having known Mr. Hayes for nearly five years, she'd heard all the stories about Tyler Hayes as a boy. Now and then, Mr. Hayes would take out a photo album and tell her the stories behind the pictures.

But that was all she knew of Tyler—the boy behind all the stories.

She had never met Tyler Hayes in person.

Mr. Hayes and Tyler had long been estranged, and neither had tried contacting the other in the past twenty years. Throughout all the health episodes that Mr. Hayes had suffered in the past few years, Tyler never showed his face or graced Mr. Hayes with a phone call. He was basically non-existent.

She couldn't blame Tyler, though.

"Kate."

His frail voice brought her back to the moment.

"I promise."

"Thanks. Thanks, Kate. Thanks for letting me play the role of grandfather that I never stepped up to. You're the best granddaughter anyone could ask for." Then he closed his eyes, his hand slipping from within hers.

The muscles around his face relaxed, and it looked as if he'd simply fallen asleep. Only the long monotonous beep from the heartbeat monitor indicated otherwise.

Kate stepped out of the room while the doctor and nurses flew into a flurry of activities.

She didn't know how long she stood outside. Eventually, the doctor stepped out and gave her a grim pat on her arm while the nurses brought Mr. Hayes's body out of the room.

She turned away from the doctor as her tears fell.

Shortly after, calls started coming through her cell phone asking her about funeral arrangements.

She knew Mr. Hayes had listed her as his emergency contact, but she was in no way qualified to make such decisions. She needed to find Tyler Hayes immediately.

She went into the study and searched for the black leather Bible that Mr. Hayes had once showed her. She pulled out the Bible and ran her fingers along the cursive golden letters imprinted on the bottom left corner. Tyler Hayes.

Mr. Hayes had bought it with the intention of giving it to Tyler for his eighteenth birthday, but he never did. For nearly ten years, the Bible had sat in the bottom drawer of Mr. Hayes's desk.

Flipping all the way to the last page of the Bible, she pulled out the piece of paper stuck within.

Though there hadn't been any contact between them, the late Mr. Hayes had been keeping track of Tyler, making sure that he didn't lack for anything.

With a heavy sigh, she dialed the number written neatly on the piece of paper. She broke into a small smile when the line connected, surprised that it actually worked.

"Hayes."

For a moment, Kate lost her voice. She didn't know what she was supposed to say. "Tyler Hayes?"

"Who's this?"

There was no good way to go about delivering the news, so she took in a deep breath and gathered her courage. "I'm Kate, Kate Mitchell. I'm calling about your grandfather, Mr. Hayes." There was no response on the other end of the phone, and she had an inkling that Tyler would hang up the phone at any moment so she hurried to continue. "He ... he passed away."

Again, Tyler Hayes was silent.

She waited, thinking he was probably dealing with shock or whatever feeling was coursing through his system, but the silence dragged out and she felt compelled to say something.

"The funeral home is asking about the arrangements. Should I get them to call you?"

"Who are you?" Tyler's voice was soft.

"Kate Mitchell. I'm ... a friend."

A grunt came from the other side of the line. "Do what you deem fit."

"Wait, Tyler. I can't possibly make the decisions."

"Then don't do anything; leave him wherever he is."

Kate pursed her lips. That wasn't an answer she'd expected. She drew in a long, deep breath and continued. "All right, I'll settle the funeral arrangements. I know he wanted to be buried with your grandmother and your parents."

Even in the continued silence, Kate could feel Tyler's increased tension on the other end of the phone. Softening her voice, she said, "Come home. Come back home for the funeral."

There was a click and the line went dead.

Kate sighed and shook her head, hoping Tyler would at least consider attending the funeral.

She returned to the guest room that Mr. Hayes had set aside for her. She sat by the desk and glance at the queen-size bed in her room. She wanted nothing more than to hide under the covers and cry, but there were things waiting for her to do.

Shoving all her feelings aside, Kate switched on her laptop and began making all the necessary arrangements.

_________________________________________________________

The full story is now on Wattpad! Happy reading!