Chapter 15 - Part 3

When they got back to the mansion, Kate could hear Evelyn and Dan talking in the kitchen.

At least she wouldn't have to do the explaining to Dan.

She stepped in, and Evelyn immediately turned around. "I bought apple strudel! And when someone said she was going home, I assumed it was to her own house, not here," Evelyn said. When Kate remained quiet, she continued. "I've drawn up the contract for Joanne, same pay as those on probation. And I promise I'll keep my eye on her. I won't let her cause you any problem. If she tries, dismiss her."

"Are you sure about this?" Dan asked.

Kate sighed. "What's done is done. Let's just see how it plays out."

She didn't want to talk or think about it. There was no way this would end up well, but there wasn't anything she could do. So she'd rather not think about it.

Besides, Tyler had enough on his mind, and she didn't want him worrying about her.

"Kate, my sister is—"

"I know. And truthfully, I didn't have much of a choice. I was kind of dragged into it. But Joanne seemed determined. I doubt anything can change her mind now," she said. "But if anything happens, please remember that this whole thing is Eve's idea."

_________________________________________________________

New parts will be uploaded every Tuesday! Do vote and add to your list if you've enjoyed reading!