Chapter 5 - Part 2

Tyler hung up the call and found Marianne staring at him. "What?"

"Did you just ask her to come home for dinner? And to bring a friend?"

Tyler frowned, not understanding Marianne's bewilderment. "Her friend's concerned about her stay here. I think it'll save her some trouble if she brings her friend here to have a look around."

"Save her some trouble," Marianne repeated while her eyes continued to study him.

"What?"

"Nothing. I'm just trying to think of a time when you took the initiative to solve someone's problem."

"I've helped you and the guys before."

"Yeah, when we asked. You never offered."

"If you didn't ask, I assumed you could solve it on your own."

Marianne rolled her eyes. Tyler didn't understand what that was for, so he ignored her. "I'm heading to the office to get some things. Do you need me to get anything for you?" Tyler asked.

"Some helpers."

He paused. "There are maids, right? Get them to help."

Marianne opened the fridge and said as she bent in, "They're part-time, and they only clean the house, not cook."

"Then hire someone, whoever you want. Let me know when you've made your choice."

"That's the Tyler I know," Marianne said from behind the fridge. "The Tyler who'll offer a solution, but leave you alone to deal with it."

Again, he didn't understand what Marianne was grumbling about. She was always so particular about who was allowed in the kitchen while she was cooking. It only made sense for Marianne to choose her own helper.

Marianne popped her head up from the fridge. "Why are you so nice to her?"

Grateful, maybe. After how he'd treated her, she still chose to help him.

The conditions of the will stipulated that she had to stay in the mansion for a year, which was all she had to do. There wasn't any need for her to tell him the stories behind the rings and to assure him that things would get better.

He wasn't highly skilled at being a pleasant person. But if there was one thing he was good at, it would be making someone feel safe in a place.

Without answering Marianne, he shrugged and headed out of the house.

_________________________________________________________

New parts will be uploaded every Tuesday! Do vote and add to your list if you've enjoyed reading!