Chapter 12 -Part 2

At lunch, Kate couldn't stop thanking Dan for his help and insisted on picking up the tab. When Dan went to get his car, Kate hung back and pulled Evelyn aside. She had to warn her friend.

"Eve, I know you like to have fun, but please don't get involved with Dan."

"I have no intention of doing so. But out of curiosity, why not?"

"Because he's the nice, serious sort of guy. The type who's interested in relationships, something you avoid at all costs. I can tell he's fond of you, but unless you change your mind about relationships, please don't mess with him."

"I haven't changed my mind. Relationships are a hassle and are doomed to fail."

"Then don't—"

"Don't worry, I won't get involved with Dan. Things between you and Tyler are weird enough. There's no need to add Dan and me to the equation. And speaking of fondness, it was really sweet of Tyler to buy you that piano, huh." Evelyn hooked her arm around Kate's and pulled her closer.

"It isn't for me; it's for the mansion."

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Please. It's for you. You do know you have to stay there for a year."

"I know." She knew what was at risk; there was no way she'd jeopardize Tyler's claim on the mansion. "We're just friends."

"Do you like him?" Evelyn's eyes slitted as she scrutinized Kate.

"What?"

"I can hear the disappointment in your voice."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"We're just friends," Evelyn mimicked, then displayed a dramatic pout.

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm going back to the office. See you later," Kate said and got into her car.

She shook her head as she steered the car from the curb.

What was she thinking? She barely knew Tyler.

There was no reason for her to be disappointed or upset. She chose to move in knowing full well of the one-year time limit.

She shook the thoughts from her head and returned to the office. She had plenty to do.

Over the next few days, while Evelyn worked on replicating the desk that Laura and the team had damaged and thrown out, Kate removed the wrong pieces of furniture and replaced them with the right ones.

A few of her staff from Laura's team were helping her, but instead of serving as part of the solution, they were giving her more problems.

Perhaps it was the angst of having to work under the close scrutiny of their boss right after screwing up. She found herself having to repeat her instructions several times to get things done properly.

She was already exhausted from having to do all the brainwork. Their lack of ability to understand simple instructions quickly pushed her beyond her boiling point.

In the end, she banished all her staff from the Harpers' house, kicked off her heels, and moved the furniture on her own.

By the end of the week, Evelyn managed to recreate the desk, and the two of them personally installed it in the Harpers' house.

When they were done, Kate sat on the couch and took in the new look of the house. She wanted to make sure that everything was perfect for the Harpers; she wanted to close the project on a good note. After going through the house, checking everything over and over until she was satisfied, she declared the house done and ready for the Harpers.