Chapter 23 - Part 2

Tyler opened Kate's letterbox, relieved that there weren't any threatening letters. He checked to make sure that the pinhole camera he'd installed on the mailbox was still intact.

Maybe Kate was right. Maybe it was just a stupid prank, and they were overreacting.

He closed the mailbox and turned back to his car. That was when the corner of his eye caught sight of the parcel. He stared at the parcel sitting in front of Kate's house, and his brows drew closer.

Kate didn't tell him that she was expecting a package.

He strode forward, picked it up, and gave the box a light shake to gauge what was within.

Whatever was inside was light, but it seemed large.

He studied the box that was wrapped in light brown paper and addressed to the Mitchells.

There wasn't any reason for Lydia to be sending her things here; she knew Kate wouldn't be home.

He didn't want to open up Kate's parcel, but he had a gut feeling that whatever it was, it had something to do with the threats she'd been receiving.

Sighing, he tore off the wrapping to reveal a white box. Taking off the lid, his face paled.

Two charred dolls lay side by side in the box.

Clenching his jaws, he told himself to throw the dolls into the trash can and return to the mansion.

But he couldn't move his legs. He couldn't even loosen his rigid fingers that had clenched onto the edge of the box.

He exhaled a slow, long breath and sat on the steps.

The nightmare that had eluded him for months came rushing back to his mind, and the fear was worse than he had ever felt.

The mere thought of losing Kate in a fire constricted his lungs, causing him to struggle for air. Putting the box down, he closed his eyes and made himself focus.

He called Detective Allen before calling Ryan to bring Kate over. Then he called Kate, informing her that there was another threat and that he'd told Ryan to drive her over. He tried to keep his tone as placid as he could, but he probably wasn't doing too well with that.

"What is it? Are you hurt?" Kate asked.

"No, I'm okay."

"Something's wrong. Tell me or I'm going to be worried sick all the way there."

"It isn't just notes this time. The person sent something else."

"What?"

He took a deep breath and slowly exhaled through his nose. "A pair of charred dolls. I think you're right about your sister not telling you everything. It isn't just meant for you; it's meant for both of you."

"I should call her."

"Do it on the way here."

"Okay." She paused for a moment before continuing. "Ty, I'm safe. I'll be there soon."

He continued sitting where he was until Detective Allen arrived.

When Detective Allen's Ford Focus came to a stop, Tyler couldn't continue sitting on the porch. Despite the waves of fear crashing against him, despite the image of the charred dolls imprinted so firmly in his mind, there were things he had to do.

He wasn't a helpless kid anymore. He didn't have to hide under the table while his loved ones got snatched from him.

He could change things now. He could protect her.