Chapter 20 - Part 2

The guys waited for Evelyn, Marianne, and Kate to finish up their lunch before heading over to the ranch.

"Ty, we know you normally go riding on your own. But since Kate's here, are you joining us in the race?" Ryan asked.

"I don't think she appreciates speed on the horse."

"You can go ahead without me. Eve and I can watch."

"There isn't any point. I'll definitely win if I join. I might as well accompany you."

Evelyn turned to Tyler. "Cocky much?"

Tyler shrugged.

"Actually, he is the best rider among us so I'd rather he doesn't join us. There are fifty bucks at stake." Ryan cracked his fingers and gave Joseph and Dan a sly grin.

The guys dove into a debate, which lasted all the way to the ranch, on who was better and had a greater chance of winning.

When they got to the ranch, a middle-aged couple came out of the house with broad smiles on their faces. "You must be Kate." The lady wearing a light blue shirt with jeans stepped forward. "Congratulations."

Kate took her hand with a smile, slightly confused at how fast the news had spread to people whom she didn't even know. "Thank you," she said uncertainly.

"This is Jenny and Matt Clark. They help me run the ranch," Tyler said.

Matt nodded when she gave him a polite smile.

"Can you prepare a horse for each of them? Kate will ride with me."

"How did they know about the proposal?" she asked as they turned away from the Clarks.

"They helped me with the flowers."

When the Clarks brought out the horses, Tyler led her over to his gray stallion. He held on to the reins and gestured for her to try getting up.

She still remembered how it was done. Bouncing off her left leg, she swung her right leg over easily.

"Good," Tyler said.

"You sound surprised."

"You were the one who said you aren't good with animals and sports."

Tyler got up behind her. Along with Joseph and Ryan, they went for a ride on a nearby trail, leaving Dan to teach Evelyn how to ride.

Halfway down the trail, Tyler told the guys to go ahead, then taught Kate how to ride on her own.

At first, he gave her instructions while he was seated right behind her. After a few rounds of that, he hopped off the horse and urged her to give it a try.

She bit down on her lips and hesitated.

Following his instructions was easy when he was right behind her. She knew that if anything went wrong, he would take over immediately.

But it was a different matter when she was alone on the horse. She didn't quite dare to move or even shift her weight. She was afraid she would do something wrong.

"You'll be fine. Ash won't hurt you."

She licked her lips nervously and let out a slow breath.

Tyler didn't rush her; he merely stood by the horse, smiling warmly and waiting patiently.

"All right, here goes." She pulled the reins back, a little too far, causing the horse to start moving backward. She panicked, tightening her hands on the reins.

"It's all right. Relax your arms," Tyler guided.

Hearing his voice, she relaxed her arms a little. Then she made the same click-click noise that Tyler had taught her and squeezed her heels gently. The horse moved forward obediently and she yelped, "I did it!"