Chapter 17 - Part 2

After three days of being carried around, Kate finally managed to argue her way into getting back to work. She wasn't in a hurry to return to the office, but as long as she stayed at home, Tyler was there with her. She needed him away from the mansion so that she could work on his present.

"Eve, may I borrow your car?" Kate leaned against the entrance of Evelyn's office and asked as sweetly as she could.

"Why? I thought you're not supposed to drive yet."

"Ty's being overboard. Please?"

"Are you sure you can drive? Because if anything happens to you, I'm pretty sure he'll come after me."

"Then Dan will protect you."

Evelyn's face went still, removing all hint of emotions. "I don't know what you're talking about," she said and threw the key over. "Don't crash."

"I haven't seen Dan around the mansion recently, and I haven't heard you mentioning any guy for quite a while."

"That's because you have been too busy with Tyler to notice."

Kate smiled and gave Evelyn a half-hearted shrug, ignoring her jibe. "Really? Tell me, then. How many cute guys have you met recently?"

Evelyn turned back to her computer. "Don't you have someplace to go?"

"Don't let him fall in love with you unless you're ready for a relationship. Oh, and can you ask him what they normally do for Tyler's birthday? I'll appreciate it if you don't tell Dan or mention to anyone else that I'm leaving the office during office hours."

Evelyn waved her away. "I guess this has something to do with the paints, brushes, and other stuff you told me to buy?"

Kate's brows flickered up as a corner of her lips curled.

"My lips are sealed. Have fun and don't crash my car."

She had to admit it was rather difficult to drive with one ankle wrapped up in bandages. And since it still hurt whenever she applied force on her right foot, she had to drive with her left foot, shifting it between the gas and brake pedals.

She couldn't be certain if Marianne had super-hearing powers or if Evelyn's car was too noisy, but Marianne opened the door to the mansion even before she could get out of the car.

"Are you all right, dear? Is your leg hurting? Why are you driving? You should've stayed at home. I know you think Tyler's overreacting, but you're injured—"

"My leg's fine, Marianne. It isn't hurting much. I need to go down to the shed. Can you lead me there? I'm not sure if I still recognize the way," she said as she made her way into the house and toward the kitchen. "Let me grab a bottle of water first."

"I'll get it for you," Marianne said. She pulled Kate to a stop and helped her to the couch. "Sit. I'll get it."

As Marianne disappeared into the kitchen, Mr. Sawyer strode out. "Hi, Miss Mitchell."

"Mr. Sawyer, how's life without work?"

After working so hard for such a long time, Mr. Sawyer had decided to take a break. His doctor had told him that his heart wasn't as strong as it used to be, and he should consider slowing down.

"Good."

She smiled politely and turned her attention to Marianne as she came hurrying back.

"Why do you want to go down to the shed?"

There wasn't any way she could hide it from Marianne. She had to tell her; otherwise, Marianne might let it slip in front of Tyler.

"The paintings inside have faded quite a bit. I want to restore it. It'll be my birthday surprise for him."