Chapter 25 - Part 3

Evelyn was chatting with Dan when she spotted Joanne walking past her ward and heading toward Kate's. She got out of bed and rushed out. After what they had gone through that night, Evelyn didn't want anyone disturbing Kate.

"Where are you going?" Dan asked.

But Evelyn was already out the door. She was ready to drag Joanne out when she saw her standing by the door, looking into Kate's ward.

"Anne, not tonight. Whatever you've planned, not tonight. Ty thought he'd lost Kate," Dan said from behind Evelyn.

"He's smiling, even in his sleep," Joanne said softly, her words saturated with pain.

Evelyn gave Dan's arm a squeeze and cocked her head toward her ward. "Give us a minute."

Dan arched a brow.

She nodded, then waited until Dan was back in her ward before saying, "He does seem happy, doesn't he?"

Joanne spun around at Evelyn's voice, and she swallowed hard. "I'm not here to make a fuss."

"And you're here looking like yourself," Evelyn stated as she gave Joanne a look over, noticing that she'd returned to her former blond hair and thick mascara.

"No matter how much I change, no matter how I prove myself, he'll never look at me the way he looks at Kate."

Evelyn thought she was probably supposed to feel sorry for Joanne, but she didn't.

Joanne never had anything with Tyler; it was a childish infatuation that blew out of proportion.

"That's right."

"I'll leave now."

Evelyn reached out and gently grabbed her arm. "You should be happy. Forget about him. He never cared about you anyway."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Yes. You don't have to be like this."

"What? A spoiled brat?"

"You don't have to be like your mother. Move out from your parents' house and find your own place. Tyler isn't your life, he never was. You can be so much more. Find your own dreams, find yourself. Whatever you want to pursue, I'm sure Dan will support you."

Joanne wiped away the tear that escaped her eye. "I don't know what I can do or what I want to do."

"It's not too late to start thinking. When you've made your decision, we'll help you. We all will."

"They have never considered me to be one of them. I'm always chasing after them. No one tells me anything. I know they think I'm just Dan's irritating sister. Even when this happened, no one called me. I only found out because I saw it on the news."

"That's because you have never bothered about anyone but yourself."

"I care about Tyler."

"No, you don't."

"I do," Joanne said, clearly indignant.

"Why did you come here?"

"I was concerned."

"No, you weren't. You came here thinking it was a chance to show Tyler how concerned you are about him. If you were truly worried about him, you'd be smiling now. Everyone's safe and he's happy."

"You never sugarcoat your words, do you?"

Evelyn grinned and looked at her. "You're like this because you've received nothing but sugar-coated words. You should start listening to some truths."

Joanne sighed and turned to leave. "Tell Kate to take care. Goodnight."

Evelyn watched Joanne leave, then she turned back to glance at Tyler and Kate in the ward before returning to her own ward.

Dan was seated on the couch, and he smiled as she stepped in.

"Settled?"

"Yeah. I don't think we have to worry about her bothering Kate or Tyler again."

"I hope you're right."

"You sound skeptical."

"My mom brought her up with one concept. Stay pretty, marry well, and live happily ever after. For whatever reason, she was determined to have that with Ty."

"I think she's figured out that it isn't going to happen."

"Again, I hope you're right."

Evelyn glanced at the clock on the wall and said, "You should go; I'm fine. It's time for me to rest anyway."

"It's all right. I can stay with you."

"I can't sleep when someone else is around."

"I'll just sit on the couch. I won't disturb you."

Evelyn sighed and sat on the bed. "I don't like having people in my room when I'm sleeping. I know you're being nice, and I'm trying to say this as nicely as possible, but please leave."

"Are you still angry that I was late?" Dan asked.

"I just don't like having someone else in the room with me when I sleep," she repeated and drew an impatient breath.

There was more to why she didn't like people being in the room while she slept, but she wasn't going to explain. She hated being reminded of it.

"All right, I'm out of here. If you need anything—"

"If I need anything, Kate's next door."

Dan shrugged, took his coat, and left Evelyn's ward.

Evelyn wanted what Kate and Tyler had. She'd known Kate since they were in college and had never seen her happier, but frivolous things like love weren't meant for someone like her.

_________________________________________________________

New parts will be uploaded every Tuesday! Do vote and add to your list if you've enjoyed reading!