Chapter 17 - Part 1

Kate sat quietly beside Tyler on the drive toward ex-detective Thomas Cooper's house.

She glanced at Lydia in the car's wing mirror and noticed how Lydia's brows were furrowed while her eyes stared into the distance.

Kate knew how important this was for Lydia.

Throughout Lydia's life, she'd always suspected that something wasn't right with the story their grandparents had told them. She'd tried to push their grandparents for information, but she had only ended up agitating them and a cold war always ensued.

As the car got nearer to their destination, Kate couldn't help wondering if she'd made the right decision in helping Lydia pursue the case.

She was worried about how Lydia would react to the information or the lack of it.

Either way, by going over to Thomas Cooper's house, she was igniting a spark that she might regret. She was giving Lydia permission to chase after ghosts that their grandparents had worked hard to keep from them.

It was a chase that might never lead to anything; a chase that might never end.

Taking her eyes off Lydia, Kate turned to Tyler.

The conversation they'd had at her house resurfaced, and again she wondered if her parents would agree with their choice of going after something that had happened so long ago.

When Tyler's car pulled to a stop, everyone looked out at the small, pastel-blue house with white picket fence, but nobody said anything. All their eyes were on the house, but no one moved.

For a moment, Kate thought that perhaps even Lydia might hesitate. But she sighed as Lydia flung the door open and stepped out.

Jesus ... She didn't even know what to pray. Jesus, just let everything be good.

She reached out for the door's handle, but turned back to Tyler as she felt his hand on her arm.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked.

She shook her head and gave him a small smile. "No, I'm not. But I think Lydia needs to know, and it's too late to go back now."

"And you?"

"You've given me the answer I needed. Parents just want their children to be happy, right?"

Tyler smiled. "Let's go, then. Otherwise, I think your sister will head in without us."

By the time they got out of the car, Lydia was already standing right in front of Detective Cooper's door. She pressed the doorbell twice and tried peering into the house through the window by the door.

"Who is it?" a grumpy voice bellowed from within the house.

Once Tyler heard the voice, he widened his strides and placed himself in front of Kate.

"I'm ... We're ..."

They got up to the steps with Kate standing half a step behind Tyler.

Kate turned and stared at Lydia, confused. She thought Lydia would have an entire speech prepared.

"We're here to ask you some questions regarding a case you handled before your retirement," Tyler answered.

The door opened, and a pudgy old man eyed them suspiciously from his wheelchair. "Who are you?"

"Lydia Mitchell." Lydia stretched out her hand, but the old man merely glared at her and turned to stare at Kate. Lydia took a deep breath and dropped her hand. "That's my sister, Kate."